Need some advice for my gap years, teaching english in spain and working as cna taking classes

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Fullofcrazyideas

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am currently a college senior and i am planning for what i want to do post graduation and what to do in my 2 gap years. So i've always wanted to study abroad but i never had the time or finances to do it during university. I found out about the North American Language and Culture Assistants in Spain program where english speakers can teach english in spain and i am in love with the idea and i think it will be a perfect gap year opportunity for me. I also want to perfect my spanish which is another pro for the program.

However i also need to work on my gpa so i was thinking for the my second gap year , i could work as a CNA and then either retake classes at community college, or take upper level sciences classes to raise my gpa.I was also thinking i could apply to SMP programs and see if i can complete one for my second gap year. I havent taken the MCAT yet and I was thinking about taking it either before i go to spain or after i come from spain (when i would be studying for it in my freetime). My gpa is currently a 3.48 but my science gpa is barely a 3.0.

What do you guys think i should do or is my current plan feasible?

Members don't see this ad.

over the past week I came up with the exact same plan coincidentally, so I am really glad to have come across this post! I was wondering first of all if this would be looked down upon by med schools? I love teaching and one of my majors is spanish so the program sounded perfect to me as well. I was also thinking about maybe finding some clinical work there because its only a part time job anyways. it would be really cool to travel as well but overall I just want a new, productive learning experience before med school.

also, I was wondering whether all of our clinical experiences in our second gap year would be recognized by med schools since we'd be applying in may (which is right when the NALCAS program ends) and we'd be working/taking classes after may.

Reactions: 1 user
over the past week I came up with the exact same plan coincidentally, so I am really glad to have come across this post! I was wondering first of all if this would be looked down upon by med schools? I love teaching and one of my majors is spanish so the program sounded perfect to me as well. I was also thinking about maybe finding some clinical work there because its only a part time job anyways. it would be really cool to travel as well but overall I just want a new, productive learning experience before med school.

also, I was wondering whether all of our clinical experiences in our second gap year would be recognized by med schools since we'd be applying in may (which is right when the NALCAS program ends) and we'd be working/taking classes after may.
OMG this is crazy!!!! I dont think this is something that woould be looked down upon to medical schools nor do i think it will "significantly" increase our chances or look better on my application. I am personally doing it for my own experience of living abroad because i know once i get into medical school i wont really have the time to travel and live abroad(while still in my 20s). Our clincial experiences in the second year should count but me personally i am trying to work in the up coming semester so that i am able to get as much clincial hours as possible.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG this is crazy!!!! I dont think this is something that woould be looked down upon to medical schools nor do i think it will "significantly" increase our chances or look better on my application. I am personally doing it for my own experience of living abroad because i know once i get into medical school i wont really have the time to travel and live abroad(while still in my 20s). Our clincial experiences in the second year should count but me personally i am trying to work in the up coming semester so that i am able to get as much clincial hours as possible.
Gotcha that makes sense because I feel the same way about doing it for my own experience too! And I am trying to get my CNA training this month so that I can hopefully start working senior year next fall, so that's true I think I'd have enough clinical hours done throughout senior year if I did that. Thank you!!

If you want two total gap years, I would do CNA first, then travel. Your application cycle starts at the end of your first gap year. You’ll want your CNA hours done by then so you can actually write meaningfully about your experiences. I worked as a CNA for my first gap year and it worked well for me this application cycle.