Need some advice for OMFS interest

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahmadred

GPR resident
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all. I'm a current GPR resident at a one year residency at a university hospital. After going through dental school and the first few months of my GPR, I've decided that I wish to pursue OMFS. I've seen a lot of interesting OMFS related cases in my GPR, ranging from trauma to severe dental abscesses, and I really like the oral surgery and medical aspect of dentistry. I'm particularly interested in 4 year programs, although I'm not going to rule out 6 year ones.
At the moment, I have not taken the NBME, (although I plan on taking it in March), and I have not applied for any programs. My grades in dental school were not the best (I was in the middle in class ranking).
1. I need some advice regarding whether I should apply for OMFS programs now, even though I am really late in the game, or if I should save some money and wait until after the match cycle to apply for OMFS internships as they pop up on this forum.
2. Is there any benefit to applying now?
3. Should I call each individual school's program to seek advice? It seems like most programs are difficult to reach out to to begin with.
4. If I don't apply this year, and finish my GPR, would it be looked down upon by the programs to apply to OMFS in the next cycle while working as a general dentist?
Any advice is appreciated :)

Members don't see this ad.

1. I need some advice regarding whether I should apply for OMFS programs now, even though I am really late in the game, or if I should save some money and wait until after the match cycle to apply for OMFS internships as they pop up on this forum.

I would definitely wait until next year. Unless you did well (90+) on NBDE Part 1, you need to take the NBME. This is especially true considering you were in the middle of the pack of your dental school class. Also, you will probably need more OMFS experience than just a GPR, since I'm doubting you did externships in dental school. With whatever break you get from your GPR, you should try to do 1-week externships at different programs. I urge you to consider an OMFS internship for next year, but you do NOT want to wait until they pop up on this forum. Contact the programs you are interested in directly and tell them you want an internship spot from now. You can read about various programs on this forum to get an idea of which programs are a good fit for you (there's a good thread in the stickies).

2. Is there any benefit to applying now?

Well, in the off chance you get in, you'd be saving a year of training. If that chance is worth the cost of applications for you I would go for it.

3. Should I call each individual school's program to seek advice? It seems like most programs are difficult to reach out to to begin with.

Most OMFS program directors are pretty busy people, so if you want to speak with them you should have very targeted questions. Not "What do I need to do to get in"... that can be found by searching around this forum. That being said, if there is an OMFS department where you are now, that would be a great place to start. I would also go back to your dental school and speak to the department there (or just call them). Calling random programs and asking their admissions requirements won't get you very far.

4. If I don't apply this year, and finish my GPR, would it be looked down upon by the programs to apply to OMFS in the next cycle while working as a general dentist?
Any advice is appreciated :)

I can't say for sure, but I think it would be looked upon poorly. What I believe is most important in OMFS is dedication; there are plenty of people doing internships with mediocre stats applying... do you think you'll have a leg up on them by doing private practice? Many of them don't match every year, so I can't imagine your odds being any better coming from PP. I don't mean to imply that nobody goes into OMFS from private practice GP... but realistically it is probably 1-2%.

All of the above is my $0.02, and I hope it helps. You can PM me if you want to discuss anything further.

Wait till next year. I'm guessing you don't have rec letters ready, the PASS stuff in, boards scores verified personal statement...etc etc etc. By the time you get all that together, interviews will be largely filled. I would try for an internship, do externships, and start studying for the Spring 2014 NBME.

Wait till next year. I'm guessing you don't have rec letters ready, the PASS stuff in, boards scores verified personal statement...etc etc etc. By the time you get all that together, interviews will be largely filled. I would try for an internship, do externships, and start studying for the Spring 2014 NBME.

Agree with this 100%.