need some advice from previous MCAT takers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Noeljan

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so
I am taking August finally for the first time:) I was in the lab and class all year so by no means studying. Anyways, the last month I have started my studying. With lab and the commute there, and moving, and planning bachelorette party for my friend's wedding (i am standing up in it) I have not studied like hard core.
Anyways, my lab is always having get togethers and friday they had a party but I could not go. Today, I got sooo many rude comments that didn't bother me at first but I have been thinking about them (and maybe bc im tired and aggitated). I got comments like, "you have to have some fun, how are you going to handle the pressure in med school", and " you are going to be so burned out", and "I didnt study really for my prelims so why are you stdying for the MCAT", and from another PhD in the lab, "oh I myself did good on tests all the time so I didnt have to worry about it",
Seriously, the more I think about the comments I got today the more I want to tell people off when I see them again. I mean WTF am I not supposed to study for the most important test to date? And, I have not even really studied as much as I should. Also, WTF if wrong with studying?????
Anyone experience such things? How do I not let it get to me?
Oh and the best one was "yhou are not going to do well on it if you dont relax and have some fun"!!!! Are you fing kidding me. I dont need this negativity right now, and I know I have always performed well on tests before and am a hard worker, so I dont know why they are saying such things. I feel like peacing out of the lab right now!!
Sorry for the rant but gosh I am really irritated about this.

Members don't see this ad.

In general, you are not taking the MCAT seriously, so you will do as well as your natural ability will take you.

If that is less than a 30 then GodZilla have mercy on your soul.

The problem is that unless those people making the comments are taking the MCAT themselves, they won't know of the pressure that it puts you through. I was fortunate enough not to have experience this from my friends because I spent the whole year before the MCAT itself bitching about how hard the exam will be and how much I have to study. Anyone else who wasn't a close friend didn't need to know I was taking the exam. Just don't study too hard for this exam. Do take the time to relax once in a while. Hope things get better for you! :)

McGillGrad said:
In general, you are not taking the MCAT seriously, so you will do as well as your natural ability will take you.

If that is less than a 30 then GodZilla have mercy on your soul.

why do you say that? I started studying the last month, and am starting to get more hardcore (besided having to be in the lab)> The problem is, THEY are not taking my MCAT seriously (or think its some thing I dont need to study for). Anyways, I just wanted some moral support as how to not let their negativity get to me., and that I'm not crazy for wanting to study for the MCAT. I mean am I supposed to just never study? These people are pissing me off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Noeljan said:
why do you say that? I started studying the last month, and am starting to get more hardcore (besided having to be in the lab)> The problem is, THEY are not taking my MCAT seriously (or think its some thing I dont need to study for). Anyways, I just wanted some moral support as how to not let their negativity get to me., and that I'm not crazy for wanting to study for the MCAT. I mean am I supposed to just never study? These people are pissing me off.

While the comments from your friends and coworkers are unwarranted, they do highlight an important point- that you must master the art of multitasking. If you are able to successfully study for the MCAT while maintaining your full-time job and taking classes and retaining somewhat decent relations with the people in your life, you know you are capable of handling med school.

I dont think the MCAT should be taken so casually or lightly, most people I know are not working full time, taking classes, studying for the MCAT, and going out every night with friends. I will just have not let what anyone else says get to me, and not feel GUILTY about needing to study. Which I should be doing right now btw. I am in the lab the whole summer, and planning a wedding festivities (not for me but for my best friend), and if that means I cannot go out and party all weekend long so be it I dont like partying anyways. Im not going to just brush off the MCAT, while other people study full time for it.

remarkal3le said:
The problem is that unless those people making the comments are taking the MCAT themselves, they won't know of the pressure that it puts you through. I was fortunate enough not to have experience this from my friends because I spent the whole year before the MCAT itself bitching about how hard the exam will be and how much I have to study. Anyone else who wasn't a close friend didn't need to know I was taking the exam. Just don't study too hard for this exam. Do take the time to relax once in a while. Hope things get better for you! :)

Thank you:) I was thinking the same thing. They have never taken it, they have no idea what they are talking about. I was also thinking this monring, gosh I dont need to tell them I need to study or I cannot attend their parties to study. I just wont go, and will keep it to myself:) Thanks for the advice

Hey guys, so I am taking the August MCAT for the first time and applying for Med School this yar for 07 admissions. I decided to give it a shot although I might have a much better chance gettin in next year since my app wont be late cos of the late MCAT results. What do u all think? Has anyone done that before and gotten in? I talked to my advisor she said people have gotten in but not to the schools they've wanted to go to. I jus wanna get in somewhere, really don care where, I mean in the US that is. Lemme know what u all think thanks

OP, I don't know what kind of grad students you work with, but they sure aren't like the ones that I know. We were usually in the lab on Friday nights, not partying every week; that's what you have to do if you want to finish your PhD in a reasonable amount of time. Plus, the idea that people could pass cumes without studying for them is preposterous; again, I don't know about your school, but my cumes were MUCH harder than the freaking MCAT. :rolleyes: Anyway, I agree with the previous posters who said that you should just not discuss the MCAT with people who aren't supportive and who aren't as focused as you are. You aren't going to change them, and they aren't going to change you. So just go about your business, and let them go about their 10-year-long PhD plans. :smuggrin:

Noeljan said:

why are you letting them get to you like this? first, don't admit you're not joining them after lab to study, say you have other plans. second, it's not their business. good luck and chin up. frig 'em. :luck:

I think you really should tell them off, personally. The sad truth in this world that you never get any respect unless you demand it, and what they are doing is disrespectful. That's allincredibly negative and entirely unhelpful, and they seem to be set against your success. With friends like that.... knowhumsayn?