need some advice - interested in applying to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ftcnt

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm interested in applying to the Irish medical schools that are listed in the atlantic bridge program.

I just want to get a sense of if I have a chance or not of getting in and if people can comment on this.

I have a Masters of Occupational Therapy and currently practicing in mental health, and doing research for my thesis in public health(MPH). My grad gpa is 3.6 and my undergrad gpa is 3.2.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I think you have a good chance, even at a US school. You need to work getting a decent score on the MCAT.

I think you have a good chance, even at a US school. You need to work getting a decent score on the MCAT.

Just remember that applications to medical school are something of a crap shoot. Good applicants get turned down all the time, just as surprising applicants get in sometimes.

Apply. That is the only way to find out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember that applications to medical school are something of a crap shoot. Good applicants get turned down all the time, just as surprising applicants get in sometimes.

Apply. That is the only way to find out.

I agree with Trauma Junkie. Just go for it and see where it takes you. I have been told (this cycle) that "you might not get in, not because you are not qualified, but because there's just not enough places and too many are competing with similar stats." So, yes, having above a 34 MCAT would make most students stand out--in the initial screening.
One of my state schools carries 80 places, with an average of 2800 applicants, and 674 interviews from those applicants. So, as you can see, it is important to work hard on the rest of your application, and persuade admissions committees that you are capable and have something unique to offer the school and its student body.

i think i will give it a try in the US and Ireland. I have to study for the mcat as that seems to be my missing piece of the puzzle.

In terms of the Irish MD schools, can someone give me the timeline from when applications are available for enrollment for the 2008 year to interviews and acceptance letters being sent out. I'm really looking for personal experiences. thanks