Need some advice on getting into a California Nursing School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CalBears05

5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My girlfriend is a nursing major and it seems like she is always stressing out about whether or not she will get into a nursing program. First off, she went two years at a community college in California and fulfilled most of her nursing prereqs there while playing basketball. She did well pulling in a 3.4 gpa. She then was offered a scholarship to play basketball out of state at a school with a great nursing program. She is almost done with her first year at this school and will probably end up with a 3.7-3.8 gpa this year. It doesnt look like she will enter the program there until Fall 2009.

She wanted to come back to California after this school year but is not having second thoughts because she doesn't think she will be able to get into a nursing program in California. Now she is thinking about staying there (even though she doesn't like it) because she may have a better chance of getting into their program. I just don't want her to be miserable out there so I am trying to do some research for her.

How hard is it to get into a nursing program in California? Do you think she should stay out there and try for their nursing program or does she have a chance at a California school (where she really wants to be). Or do you recommend that she get her degree in something else and apply for a masters in nursing?

Thank you all in advance for the advice. :)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a little confused by your post.

1. Where is your GF?

2. Does she have a degree or has she just fulfilled the pre-reqs for a nursing program?

In any case, I really think it's your GF who should be doing the research about schools. I know you're trying to help and be supportive, but she's the one who is going to have to do the work and make it work. You might want to refer her to www.allnurses.com. They have forums for pre-nurses and student nurses; you and your GF will find a wealth of information there and be able to talk to people in CA who can give you more specific info. Look up the moderator, Suzanne.

I'm a little confused by your post.

1. Where is your GF?

2. Does she have a degree or has she just fulfilled the pre-reqs for a nursing program?

In any case, I really think it's your GF who should be doing the research about schools. I know you're trying to help and be supportive, but she's the one who is going to have to do the work and make it work. You might want to refer her to www.allnurses.com. They have forums for pre-nurses and student nurses; you and your GF will find a wealth of information there and be able to talk to people in CA who can give you more specific info. Look up the moderator, Suzanne.
Yes. Allnurses.com is a good place to go. I have been a member for a number of years now.