Need some advice on my application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kogs

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I currently have a GPA of 3.4, just wrote my MCATs (haven't received a score yet), I have done countless hours volunteering for Canadian cancer society (1year), heart and stroke foundation (1year) and Nanaimo general hospital (1year). I've done cancer research for my university now for 2 years now, which is ongoing. I am the vice president of the kinesiology student society at my university. I have quite a bit more stuff as well...however; my problem lies with the fact that I don't have physics. I'm in my final year of my B.Sc and will not have time to make up the class before i grad.

I need some advice about what to do:

1. Do I apply to both M.D and D.O schools in the USA? Do I stand a chance of getting in? and if I do which schools would provide me with the greatest chance? (ive been looking for ever and it seems everywhere requires physics!)

2. Should I just start applying to Caribbean schools (Saba, st.georges ect)?

PS. Im Canadian if you didnt figure it out by now

Members don't see this ad.

Take a year, get a job, take physics.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think it might be hard trying to get away with not taking physics.

English -- I asked a bunch of admissions people at a few schools and some of them are allowing me to use other classes to meet the English requirement.

But not sure if you would be able to do that with physics

The essay question includes why the particular school would provide you with the type of education you are seeking...
Having never visited the college, what things can set it apart to a degree that should be talked about on the secondary application???

hope you can help
Drtobe

I am pretty sure that you will need physics as well. Look for places that you can take it over the summer, or during some sort of intersession. I really don't think there is much way around it. You have excellent extracurriculars, and I think that is excellent and will serve you well once you get an interview. However, you may not get to the interview stage at most MD schools with a 3.4 gpa. You would have to really nail the MCAT in order to stand a chance at most allopathic schools (with average stats like 3.6-7 and 29-32). So if you're not wanting to devote a few more years to the process (getting a masters, etc.) to raise your gpa, I wouldn't even fill out an allopathic app... but if you get above a 23 mcat, I'd say you have a good shot at getting in to most osteopathic schools. How were you doing on practice mcats? What sort of score are you anticipating? I interviewed and was accepted to an osteopathic school in sept. with a 3.74 and 24. I also had 3 more interviews waiting. However, I doubt I would have gotten ANY interviews at allopathic schools.

Good luck, and keep your head up.
jamie

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of schools here in Canada don’t require physics like the USA, rather they recommend it. I will continue filling out my applications for school here in Canada, if that doesn’t work, then I will consider doing physics, or maybe even going to a Caribbean school. Thanks again.