John1234214

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2017
Hi, I am a biology major currently at an expensive private school. I just finished my second year. However, the cost is way too much and I think I need to switch to a cheaper in-state school for the next two years. My thinking in high school was that I wanted to go to the best school for the best chance to go to a medical school which has been all I ever wanted to do. However, by switching I can save 40,000 dollars over two years and I think it is the best option for me at the point. If I thought I was likely going to make medical school I would for sure pay. I love the school I am at and it has been a great experience and I would love to graduate from a good school, and having gone there for two years and spending so much money for two years to not benefit from the degree really sucks. Currently, I am not a good candidate for medical school I have very little EC, I have failed to get internships, research and job shadowing to this point but am going to keep applying for stuff. My gpa is not very good but has a decent upward trend.
First semester: 2.9
Second Semester: 3.0
Third Semester: 3.1
Fourth Semester: 3.33

I struggled with French class for the first three semesters which hurt my grades a decent amount. I dont have anything less than a C. And no Cs in science courses.

What are my chances of getting into medical school or DO school? What should I do going forward? Is it better to graduate from the worse school with less debt or continue at the good school for the degree? What kind of backup options do I have should the unthinkable happen? Do I have any chance of making med school at this point? If I have over a 3.7 avg at the new school will that be enough to give me a shot? Will it look too much like I switched to get better grades?

I have been really stressed out and feel completely lost and hopeless. I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a doctor at this point. I didn't buckle down as much as I needed to the first two years but I want to do what I need to, to give me the best chance. I have been in panic mode for months about my loans, my grades and worries about medical school. I have made some mistakes in the past regarding my future and I feel really scared and worried and just need advice about what I should do at this point.

Faha

7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2012
Status
Attending Physician
If your eventual GPA is 3.3 or higher and you score at least 500 on the MCAT then you would be competitive for some DO schools. For MD schools ideally your eventual GPA should be 3.5 and a MCAT over 508. For MD also your state of residence may be a factor. Where you obtain that GPA matters little.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
The new school may not be as easy as you think it will be. It wasn't just three semesters of French that has your cGPA around 3.1. You need to figure out why you are doing so poorly at school and fix that first. Wherever you end up you might try visiting the learning resource center and ask for help. You aren't going to magically start earning a3.7+. Once you figure out the academic side start working on your ECs. You certainly have a shot at Med school(FYI Med school = MD or DO) but you have lots of work to do starting right now. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

About the Ads

SLU Student

2+ Year Member
Apr 11, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
From what I have gathered on this forum, undergraduate prestige means very little. It's much better to get a 4.0 at a state school, then say a 3.0 at Princeton. You'll be completely fine if you transfer.

When you do though, keep in mind some other factors other than the possible easier classes. Make sure your new school still offers plenty of EC's such as clubs/organizations, shadowing, volunteering, research, etc.

Good luck.

OP
J

John1234214

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2017
The new school may not be as easy as you think it will be. It wasn't just three semesters of French that has your cGPA around 3.1. You need to figure out why you are doing so poorly at school and fix that first. Wherever you end up you might try visiting the learning resource center and ask for help. You aren't going to magically start earning a3.7+. Once you figure out the academic side start working on your ECs. You certainly have a shot at Med school(FYI Med school = MD or DO) but you have lots of work to do starting right now. Good luck.

Thank you very much. I know it isn't going to be easy. I know I haven't been giving a hundred percent and definitely have been coasting a bit more than I should. I am going to give it everything I can to succeed. I am capable of doing well, I averaged a 3.9ish in high school, which for the standards of this forum isn't great, but definitely is better than I have been giving in college. I just wanted to know that if I give 100% from here forwards that I will at least have a chance of making it to medical school. I have felt really hopeless this summer about where I am right now. So it means a lot to hear from someone that I still have a chance. :) Thank you very much. :))) If anyone else has any advice I definitely haven't got everything figured out yet! ( but I am on my way to being a doctor)

Positive update, also, since this morning I have some job shadowing next cycle. I have been trying for weeks to get in touch with doctors and finally have one, and in a field I am very interested in.

Reactions: candbgirl

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Hi, I am a biology major currently at an expensive private school. I just finished my second year. However, the cost is way too much and I think I need to switch to a cheaper in-state school for the next two years. My thinking in high school was that I wanted to go to the best school for the best chance to go to a medical school which has been all I ever wanted to do. However, by switching I can save 40,000 dollars over two years and I think it is the best option for me at the point. If I thought I was likely going to make medical school I would for sure pay. I love the school I am at and it has been a great experience and I would love to graduate from a good school, and having gone there for two years and spending so much money for two years to not benefit from the degree really sucks. Currently, I am not a good candidate for medical school I have very little EC, I have failed to get internships, research and job shadowing to this point but am going to keep applying for stuff. My gpa is not very good but has a decent upward trend.
First semester: 2.9
Second Semester: 3.0
Third Semester: 3.1
Fourth Semester: 3.33

I struggled with French class for the first three semesters which hurt my grades a decent amount. I dont have anything less than a C. And no Cs in science courses.

What are my chances of getting into medical school or DO school? What should I do going forward? Is it better to graduate from the worse school with less debt or continue at the good school for the degree? What kind of backup options do I have should the unthinkable happen? Do I have any chance of making med school at this point? If I have over a 3.7 avg at the new school will that be enough to give me a shot? Will it look too much like I switched to get better grades?

I have been really stressed out and feel completely lost and hopeless. I am willing to do whatever it takes to become a doctor at this point. I didn't buckle down as much as I needed to the first two years but I want to do what I need to, to give me the best chance. I have been in panic mode for months about my loans, my grades and worries about medical school. I have made some mistakes in the past regarding my future and I feel really scared and worried and just need advice about what I should do at this point.
Come back in two years and ask once you have a strong upward trend (like 3.7 each semester. 3.3 each semester will keep you out of MD schools).

Go visit your school's learning or education center, stat.

Always have a Plan B.

OP
J

John1234214

2+ Year Member
Jul 31, 2017
Come back in two years and ask once you have a strong upward trend (like 3.7 each semester. 3.3 each semester will keep you out of MD schools).

Go visit your school's learning or education center, stat.

Always have a Plan B.
My plan B is why I am switching schools. Hopefully in two years I will be admitted :p. If I can't get into MD or DO school then I will probably go get a BSN. I really can't see myself outside the health field, but I am trying to be somewhat prepared for the worst. Hopefully it won't ever come to that!

If I average 3.7 I should have around a 3.4.

candbgirl

Gold Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 14, 2005
Status
A 3.4 might be okay for DO but admissions to any medical school get more and more competitive each year. I think currently MD average is around 3.6+ and DO isn't far behind. Do the best you can. Get As from now on and you'll have a nice upwards grade trend and schools like that. Do very well on the MCAT and assemble great ECs and see what happens.

About the Ads