Need Some Advice, Please. Newcomer.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mmehl1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
In need of some advice… First post here and I'm hoping it'll be welcomed.

• Graduated last year (May 2011) with a cGPA of 3.79 and sGPA 3.75.
  • Did NOT take Org Chem. II or Physics II
  • Took Biochem, Epidemiology, Developmental Bio, Micro, biostats, etc.
  • Have not taken the MCAT
  • Currently working (5 months) as Research Associate in Mol./Cell Physiology lab – (hopefully) soon to publish. Have one other research internship.
  • No significant volunteer hours or shadowing worth speaking of.
  • Studied abroad, know 3 languages, ran cross country and track in college (division 1), pre-med club treasurer, worked for professors during undergrad
  • Would be happy to go DO.
Need any other information?

What should I do considering the timelines I’m reading tell me I should’ve already been studying for the MCAT and taking it in about a month?
Have the idea of ceasing work in the physiology lab, study for MCAT, take the two courses, then apply.

Is there any way to be in DO/MD by Fall (or summer) of next year (2013)??

Members don't see this ad.

It is going to be really hard to get into DO/MD in Fall 2013. That would mean you have to apply Summer 2012. Which means you have about 3.5 months to take the two classes, study for the MCAT, get some shadowing and volunteering (clinical and non clinical) in.

Your GPA is good and doing research is going to help as well. It is also good that you were a div 1 athelete. But none of these are going to make up for lack of shadowing and clinical experience. You can, of course, try to cram all the things I mentioned earlier in the next few months but it is not going to look very good. But it is recommended that you have any extended period of clinical experience. Also, ideally, you would have shadowed doctors of a few different specialties for around ~50 hrs (I believe that is the avg for applicants). It is not in the number of hours but what you got out of it, but without any clinical experience in four years of UG, cramming some just before applying is not going to look good. Again, you can always try your luck.

My suggestion would be to spend this year getting all these in order, prepare for and kill the MCAT and you have a good shot at some of the best schools in the country.

Members don't see this ad :)
No problem and good points. Thanks a ton for the replies.

So that means I'd be going into med school summer/fall of 2014, correct?

Any need for a post-bac? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just take those couple classes and MCAT?

What if org. chem and physics II are only offered in spring of 2013?

If I get an offer to go to Kenya to work at a non-profit hospital for a year taking photos and writing stories of kids in need of minor surgeries would that give me a leg up? That'd put me another year behind, though, and probably remembering less of the subject matter for MCAT/school, wouldn't it?

Hi there! You do not need that, a post-bacc. You are welcome to enroll in a program, post-bacc is most common - and take whatever classess you need...that is this thing called "informal post-bacc" you are welcome to search this term in SDN.

Kenya = 1 year behind in applying, but 10 years ahead in experience....please, I invite you to consider this for yourself...

1) So that means I'd be going into med school summer/fall of 2014, correct?

2) Any need for a post-bac? Wouldn't it be cheaper to just take those couple classes and MCAT?

3) What if org. chem and physics II are only offered in spring of 2013?

4) If I get an offer to go to Kenya to work at a non-profit hospital for a year taking photos and writing stories of kids in need of minor surgeries would that give me a leg up? That'd put me another year behind, though, and probably remembering less of the subject matter for MCAT/school, wouldn't it?
1) Yes, at the earliest.

2) No. Just complete the prerequisites and strongly recommended classes. Be aware that some schools have other requirements, so you need to be aware of the policies of schools you plan to target. Examples or additional requirements or strong recommendations: Behavioral Science, Biochem, 1-2 upper level Bio classes from a list, Statistics. If you haven't completed everything by the time you apply, you would list it as future coursework, so schools know you plan on it. Most don't take the MCAT until they complete Physicis II, but on many versions of the MCAT there is little OChem II, so you could usually get by without it when you take the test.

3) Look for another school.

4) Yes.