Need some advice, please~

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MDhopefully97

Account on Hold
Account on Hold
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have a somewhat unique situation, so I'll try to keep it short and simple:

I am a Canadian UG student, I did my first two years of UG through an accredited online Canadian University, my cGPA is 3.9 on the AMCAS Scale and my sGPA is 3.75. I am going into my third year and for the final two years I will be completing my degree in Human biology from a top 5 Canadian university in Ontario.

MCAT = 512

My questions are:

1. Will the fact that I have transferred schools halfway through hurt my chances?

2. My transcript from my first University does not Note anywhere that it is online, Must I disclose this? It is accredited.

3. I am 24, I spent the first 4 years after high-school pursuing a failed sports career, will this be looked down upon?

4. Can I apply during my third year, or must I wait until my fourth?

5. I have taken my degree year round, so I did full time summer, then full fall, then full spring etc, is that okay?

Thanks!

Also, any help with Canadian friendly schools would be great.

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I am a Canadian UG student, I did my first two years of UG through an accredited online Canadian University, my cGPA is 3.9 on the AMCAS Scale and my sGPA is 3.75. I am going into my third year and for the final two years I will be completing my degree in Human biology from a top 5 Canadian university in Ontario.

MCAT = 512

My questions are:

1. Will the fact that I have transferred schools halfway through hurt my chances?

2. My transcript from my first University does not Note anywhere that it is online, Must I disclose this? It is accredited.

3. I am 24, I spent the first 4 years after high-school pursuing a failed sports career, will this be looked down upon?

5. I have taken my degree year round, so I did full time summer, then full fall, then full spring etc, is that okay?

Thanks!

I can't only give you a standpoint from DO schools, but as a caveat, US MD schools take internationals who tend to be superstars or went to the parent UG school.

1) No
2) This will be school dependent. My school is OK with it, but some schools may not allow for pre-reqs that are online. This is abigger issue for MD schools and only mSAR Online can answer this for you
3) Nope. Why should it?
4) You should apply when you have the best possible app.
5) That's fine.

Reactions: 1 users
I can't only give you a standpoint from DO schools, but as a caveat, US MD schools take internationals who tend to be superstars or went to the parent UG school.

1) No
2) This will be school dependent. My school is OK with it, but some schools may not allow for pre-reqs that are online. This is abigger issue for MD schools and only mSAR Online can answer this for you
3) Nope. Why should it?
4) You should apply when you have the best possible app.
5) That's fine.
Thank you for taking the time to answer.

However, I understand the best app point but - is one allowed to apply at the beginning of third year?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello! Nice to see a fellow Canadian on here. From your description, I have an idea of where you are studying for undergrad! If you purchase the MSAR, you are able to filter the US schools that will accept Canadians (but as international students). This site (List of Canadian-friendly USMD Schools - 2019 ver.) (hopefully admins won't ban me for posting the link) also contains a list of Canadian friendly US MD schools. I'm privileged to be accepted into a US MD school, so feel free to PM me any questions :)

Sounds like great advice! Are you really saying there is ANY US school, including yours, that will consider a Canadian applicant after 2 years of online schooling, at the beginning of his third year? And then what? Allow him to defer for a year while he completes his 4th year of UG??? Or allow him to skip the 4th year and just matriculate without a bachelors degree?? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

OP -- I am not an adcom, but this does not sound right. No US student can apply in the beginning of the third year of UG, unless they are going to graduate early. Even then, the application would be a long shot since the majority of US matriculants have at least one gap year nowadays. There is no reason to think this would be different for Canadians applying to the same schools. I will bet anything he misread your question, so please verify this elsewhere before relying on it.

Hello all,

MCAT = 512

My questions are:

Thanks!

Because I missed the OP’s Spicy thread I read up on him. And I found this from 2018 this from 2018.

MDhopefully97 said:
Hello,
Here is my situation:

I am a Canadian UG student in Ontario. I am in my 4th year of my degree... my first year I had a 1.7 GPA and a bunch of withdrawals for various reasons.. Since then, my GPA is 3.9+. I also wrote the MCAT and received a 523 which I am extremely happy about CONSIDERING I AM AN ARTS STUDENT!!!!

I do not have the science pre-reqs but am going to take them after fourth year in a pre-med year.

I really want to go to a good US med school.. what do I do.. Do I have a chance?

HELP!

Thank

So not sure what’s up with this poster but probably just trolling.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Because I missed the OP’s Spicy thread I read up on him. And I found this from 2018 this from 2018.

MDhopefully97 said:
Hello,
Here is my situation:

I am a Canadian UG student in Ontario. I am in my 4th year of my degree... my first year I had a 1.7 GPA and a bunch of withdrawals for various reasons.. Since then, my GPA is 3.9+. I also wrote the MCAT and received a 523 which I am extremely happy about CONSIDERING I AM AN ARTS STUDENT!!!!

I do not have the science pre-reqs but am going to take them after fourth year in a pre-med year.

I really want to go to a good US med school.. what do I do.. Do I have a chance?

HELP!

Thank

So not sure what’s up with this poster but probably just trolling.
Detective work worth of Sherlock Holmes!

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.