need some advice regarding mcat score

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lina123321

ralph: im a unitard
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
got a 25, not really impressive at all...i was a little confused, and hoping that you guys can help me out. If i take the august mcats, but submit my app w/my current score, do i have to redo secondaries when i get my new score? id really not want to retake the test, but i don't think i have any other choice besides DO

any idea?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

lina123321 said:
got a 25, not really impressive at all...i was a little confused, and hoping that you guys can help me out. If i take the august mcats, but submit my app w/my current score, do i have to redo secondaries when i get my new score? id really not want to retake the test, but i don't think i have any other choice besides DO

any idea?

thanks

If you plan to take the August MCAT, you have to indicate it on AMCAS, in which case it will wait for your score and not send you secondaries until then.

It really depends on the rest of your application and how much you can improve. If you think you can improve to 30+ in August, I would say do it. Otherwise, waiting generally hurts.

Good luck

SAME HERE!!! I got a 25 too, and i dont think i could improve much if i take in august bcs i am currently working full time plus i am mentally not ready. I will take the CBT next year and take a year off, but what really keeps me busy thinking is if i should apply DO, bcs all i want to do is family practice and i heard they both make the same amount of money, the job is the same etc.

ironmanf14 said:
If you plan to take the August MCAT, you have to indicate it on AMCAS, in which case it will wait for your score and not send you secondaries until then.

It really depends on the rest of your application and how much you can improve. If you think you can improve to 30+ in August, I would say do it. Otherwise, waiting generally hurts.

Good luck

Hey, the easy way is to ask advice from us, but we're all in the same boat. We have certain MCAT scores and many are not sure if they are going to be enough. The best way is to contact the school you are planning to apply to, and ask them whether your score will be good enough to be competitive. 25 is definitely not an automatic retake.

ineedhelp85 said:
SAME HERE!!! I got a 25 too, and i dont think i could improve much if i take in august bcs i am currently working full time plus i am mentally not ready. I will take the CBT next year and take a year off, but what really keeps me busy thinking is if i should apply DO, bcs all i want to do is family practice and i heard they both make the same amount of money, the job is the same etc.

I personally think DO is a great route and DO's make great doctors, just like MDs. I have heard of people specializing with DO degrees too (I know an anesthesiologist who is a DO) so if someone tells you that DO's can't specialize they are wrong, it's only that the percentage that do is smaller than that of MD

I have heard that 24/25 is competative for DO schools, so if you see one that looks appealing to you, why not?