Need some advice. Submit primaries now or wait for MCAT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Christo1

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the June 13th MCAT and frankly, felt horrible afterward. Judging by the response in the respective thread, it seemed as if everyone did as well. Here's the problem. Should I submit my primary now without knowing my score with hopes that it will turn out to be competitive or risk it being terrible and essentially blowing $800 on primaries. Honestly though, I don't know what I would do if I get a bad score (< 28). Submit it regardless and study again through the summer and take it on the last possible date for the application cycle in September? I just don't know what to do right now. I guess either way I'm going to have to submit my primaries, even if I take it in September. Might as well do it now... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

I've been wondering this as well, though I don't take the MCATs until Aug 5th.

If you are certain that you will be applying this cycle, then by all means, submit it as soon as you can.

EDIT: Also you may wanna check with other people about which schools prescreen. If you happen to apply to those, proceed with caution.

I took the June 13th MCAT and frankly, felt horrible afterward. Judging by the response in the respective thread, it seemed as if everyone did as well. Here's the problem. Should I submit my primary now without knowing my score with hopes that it will turn out to be competitive or risk it being terrible and essentially blowing $800 on primaries. Honestly though, I don't know what I would do if I get a bad score (< 28). Submit it regardless and study again through the summer and take it on the last possible date for the application cycle in September? I just don't know what to do right now. I guess either way I'm going to have to submit my primaries, even if I take it in September. Might as well do it now... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.

I'm facing the same exact dilemma. I don't feel confident enough about my performance on the June 13 MCAT to submit my AMCAS just yet, so I'm leaning toward just waiting until I see my score before making my next move. That way, if I bombed it, I will just hold off and apply next year after retaking. If I do get a decent enough score, I'll be able to better select which schools to apply to. It's a tough decision and I keep going back and forth too... so trust me, you're not alone! I don't think submitting in mid-July will be considered too late, and I'd rather apply knowing my score than blowing all that money and effort on an MCAT score that isn't competitive. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't feel confident on 6/13, but I'm submitting b/c most people do better than they feel they do and if your scores suck, what better time to get the app in than early? :)

ive been debating the exact same thing! june 13th was tough, but what mcat administration isnt? im going to submit my primary and pray for a decent score. in the event i do horribly, i think ill just wait to apply next cycle. if i retake in august ill be a late applicant and id rather apply earlier next year with a better score (even though ill be ancient compared to all the young guns applying, haha). good luck!

You could always submit it with just one or a few schools to get the verification rolling. You could then add schools as needed once you get your scores. I think it is important to get it submitted soon so you can get verified in a reasonable amount of time. Look at the official verification thread and you'll see that the lag time is starting to grow. It's only going to get longer and longer throughout the season.

If you did horrible and decide not to apply this year you're only out ~$160 or so instead of $1k.

Last edited:
You could always submit it with just one or a few schools to get the verification rolling. You could then add schools as needed once you get your scores. I think it is important to get it submitted soon so you can get verified in a reasonable amount of time. Look at the official verification thread and you'll see that the lag time is starting to grow. It's only going to get longer and longer throughout the season.

If you did horrible and decide not to apply this year you're only out ~$160 or so instead of $1k.

I have considered this. Let's say I only designated 1 school and submit the primary... if I get my MCAT score later and decide to apply next year, then will I only be considered a reapplicant next year for the 1 school that I designated? Or will I be considered a reapplicant everywhere?

Basically what I am asking is... is there any disadvantage to doing what you said other than the $160?

So if we submit to AMCAS now and add schools after we receive our MCAT score, our place in line in the verification process won't change? Are you guys positive about that? I've read people say you don't lose your place in line and others say that you do in other posts when I searched this topic last night. Has anyone actually done this before?

Last edited:

Can you really add schools later?

You could always submit it with just one or a few schools to get the verification rolling. You could then add schools as needed once you get your scores. I think it is important to get it submitted soon so you can get verified in a reasonable amount of time.

I did it this way during my application season, applying to only one school initially, then adding other schools in two additional waves, paying as I went. It worked fine, and AMCAS sends out everything to the additional schools within one business day.