Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need some advice. Submit primaries now or wait for MCAT scores

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by Christo1, Jun 19, 2008.

  1. Christo1

    Christo1 Member 2+ Year Member

    Apr 29, 2006
    I took the June 13th MCAT and frankly, felt horrible afterward. Judging by the response in the respective thread, it seemed as if everyone did as well. Here's the problem. Should I submit my primary now without knowing my score with hopes that it will turn out to be competitive or risk it being terrible and essentially blowing $800 on primaries. Honestly though, I don't know what I would do if I get a bad score (< 28). Submit it regardless and study again through the summer and take it on the last possible date for the application cycle in September? I just don't know what to do right now. I guess either way I'm going to have to submit my primaries, even if I take it in September. Might as well do it now... Any advice would be helpful. Thanks guys.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. ecoli

    ecoli 2+ Year Member

    Jun 9, 2008
    I've been wondering this as well, though I don't take the MCATs until Aug 5th.
  4. fuzzywuz

    fuzzywuz 5+ Year Member

    Jan 6, 2006
    If you are certain that you will be applying this cycle, then by all means, submit it as soon as you can.

    EDIT: Also you may wanna check with other people about which schools prescreen. If you happen to apply to those, proceed with caution.
  5. nerakium

    nerakium 2+ Year Member

    Jun 13, 2008
    I'm facing the same exact dilemma. I don't feel confident enough about my performance on the June 13 MCAT to submit my AMCAS just yet, so I'm leaning toward just waiting until I see my score before making my next move. That way, if I bombed it, I will just hold off and apply next year after retaking. If I do get a decent enough score, I'll be able to better select which schools to apply to. It's a tough decision and I keep going back and forth too... so trust me, you're not alone! I don't think submitting in mid-July will be considered too late, and I'd rather apply knowing my score than blowing all that money and effort on an MCAT score that isn't competitive. Good luck with whatever you decide to do :)
  6. tncekm

    tncekm MS-1 2+ Year Member

    Jul 18, 2006
    I didn't feel confident on 6/13, but I'm submitting b/c most people do better than they feel they do and if your scores suck, what better time to get the app in than early? :)
  7. HeyGirlHey

    HeyGirlHey 2+ Year Member

    May 27, 2008
    ive been debating the exact same thing! june 13th was tough, but what mcat administration isnt? im going to submit my primary and pray for a decent score. in the event i do horribly, i think ill just wait to apply next cycle. if i retake in august ill be a late applicant and id rather apply earlier next year with a better score (even though ill be ancient compared to all the young guns applying, haha). good luck!
  8. scottyT

    scottyT Real Member 10+ Year Member

    Mar 19, 2006
    Mountain View, CA
    You could always submit it with just one or a few schools to get the verification rolling. You could then add schools as needed once you get your scores. I think it is important to get it submitted soon so you can get verified in a reasonable amount of time. Look at the official verification thread and you'll see that the lag time is starting to grow. It's only going to get longer and longer throughout the season.

    If you did horrible and decide not to apply this year you're only out ~$160 or so instead of $1k.
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  9. nerakium

    nerakium 2+ Year Member

    Jun 13, 2008
    I have considered this. Let's say I only designated 1 school and submit the primary... if I get my MCAT score later and decide to apply next year, then will I only be considered a reapplicant next year for the 1 school that I designated? Or will I be considered a reapplicant everywhere?

    Basically what I am asking is... is there any disadvantage to doing what you said other than the $160?
  10. de_la_soul

    de_la_soul hmm 7+ Year Member

    Jun 28, 2005
    So if we submit to AMCAS now and add schools after we receive our MCAT score, our place in line in the verification process won't change? Are you guys positive about that? I've read people say you don't lose your place in line and others say that you do in other posts when I searched this topic last night. Has anyone actually done this before?
    Last edited: Jun 20, 2008
  11. jdla

    jdla 2+ Year Member

    Apr 1, 2007
    Can you really add schools later?
  12. Mobius1985

    Mobius1985 7+ Year Member

    Apr 4, 2007
    I did it this way during my application season, applying to only one school initially, then adding other schools in two additional waves, paying as I went. It worked fine, and AMCAS sends out everything to the additional schools within one business day.
  13. greg1184

    greg1184 10+ Year Member

    Dec 9, 2006
    Of course you can.

Share This Page