MD & DO Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thetangentline

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I switched my major from engineering to microbiology and pre-med during the end of my sophomore year. I am in my first semester of my junior year and my current stats are as follows: cgpa 3.36, science gpa is similar if not slightly less I believe, and I still have not taken the MCAT. I am a Kansan resident and also a first generation college student (ORM).

So I did some number crunching in excel and it comes out that by the end of my Junior year assuming I get a straight 4.0 both semesters my cgpa will be around 3.55 but if I wait and apply senior year my cgpa will be at 3.65 and sgpa at 3.6 or something. Here are my EC's thus far:

~ 1 semester of research, 8 hrs a week
~ 52 hrs volunteering at a local hospital
~ 40 hrs community service through various community outreach programs
~ 1 year Medical Fraternity, 5 hrs per month, 20 hrs community service
~ Student Mentor 3 hrs per month
~ Relay For Life 40 hrs
~ Chemistry Tutor 1 semester, 2 hrs per week

Hobbies: Really big into tennis

Currently:
~ research, 12 hrs per week, plan to stick with this till I graduate
~ Recently signed up to volunteer at a free health clinic, 2 hrs per week, plan to stick with this till I graduate

So currently I know a major thing I lack is shadowing but I had a high school program where literally all I did was shadow (200+ hrs). I am going to try to set up some shadowing hours this summer/winter though.

Questions:
1. I don't have the most stellar grades but I think I can get a 3.8-4.0 from here on out if I try my hardest, will this cover up at all for my mediocre grades in the pre-reqs? They are going to pretty tough upper level biology courses.
2. I am debating whether I should just apply to med school my senior year because it will give me a lot of time to boost my application and get my gpa up as well but on the flip side there is a possibility of me still not getting accepted. What are your opinions?
3. My EC's are kind of rag tag mainly because I like looking for new experiences but am afraid that this may lead adcoms to believe I don't show commitment. Will this look bad?
4. I also don't know where I want to apply for med school. My state medical school is my first choice but I don't know what other schools I should look at. I don't mind applying DO but MD is preferable. In the end I just want to be a physician.

Members don't see this ad.

Yes.

1. I don't have the most stellar grades but I think I can get a 3.8-4.0 from here on out if I try my hardest, will this cover up at all for my mediocre grades in the pre-reqs? They are going to pretty tough upper level biology courses.

Apply when you have the best possible packet
2. I am debating whether I should just apply to med school my senior year because it will give me a lot of time to boost my application and get my gpa up as well but on the flip side there is a possibility of me still not getting accepted. What are your opinions?

No. You definitely need at least double the EC hrs for volunteering.
3. My EC's are kind of rag tag mainly because I like looking for new experiences but am afraid that this may lead adcoms to believe I don't show commitment. Will this look bad?

Invest in MSAR Online and look at schools whose median numbers will be closest to your projected numbers. Still largely hypothetical now. I would think about the two KS schools, and others neighboring KS, at a minimum.
4. I also don't know where I want to apply for med school. My state medical school is my first choice but I don't know what other schools I should look at. I don't mind applying DO but MD is preferable. In the end I just want to be a physician.[/QUOTE]