Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Need some advice!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by guamboy, Dec 26, 2008.

1. guamboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey guys,
    I'm new to the forum and I would appreciate some advice.
    I attend UCSD, I'm a freshman, and currently majoring in Electrical Engineering. I plan on switching to Human Bio and getting the premed requirements started.
    I had a rough 1st quarter; the following are my grades:
    Chem6a: W
    Math20a: C
    JAPN10a: B
    MMW1: B+
    ECE15: F(C Programming)
    This brings my GPA to a 2.1, I think.:(

On top of this I'm under the AFROTC scholarship which requires me to take two additional Classes(AS100&AS110) and a bunch Physical Training exercises. My school is in a quarter system, hence why I dropped Chem6a(Could not hack 7 classes).

Questions:
    1. Should I retake ECE15, despite the fact Im switching majors?
    2. Would it be beneficial to retake the class?
    3. Am I out of the running for a decent Med School, or any med school for that matter?
    4. Anyone had similar experiences? I'm doomed aren't I?:(

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. 236116

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    No to 1,2,3.
    Yes to 4a, no to 4b.

Take a intro-baby compsci. (unless ece15 is all that is offered).

What were the classes you took? I don't know what the codes mean.

4. RySerr21

RySerr21 i aint kinda hot Im sauna
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]

omg, you go to UCSD? That place pales in comparison to schools like UCLA and Berkeley. What were you thinking?? (p.s. i'm just kidding/making fun of this ridiculously stupid thread about which UC is the best. UCSD is a fine institution).

Yes, not only will you benefit from retaking the F, its probably highly recommended to retake the F. It will bring up your GPA drastically if you do better, especially if you end up applying to DO, in which case the F will be completely replaced. You are not doomed, but you need to start getting As ASAP. By no means will this one quarter kill you, but you definitely need to start doing better. Keep up whatever ECs you have (and if you dont have any, now is a good time to start) and do better in your classes. Rock the MCAT. Breathe. Youll be fine.

5. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    ryserr21 has good points, but I'd caution against retaking the ECE class unless you're certain you can get an A/B. If you want to chalk this up to "Well, I found out ECE wasn't for me, switched majors and never looked back..." that'd be fine.

It'd look worse if you retook it and only got D or C-. Schools are willing to overlook one bad quarter (even a bad semester), but get back on track quickly. Good luck!

6. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    I agree. Any "F" will look bad if you don't try to remedy it. Med schools won't ignore it (even if it was your freshman year), so you shouldn't either. I would try to retake it sometime in the next 3 years...even by itself during a Summer Session. Other than that...it's all about getting that GPA up...as many A's and A-'s from here on out as possible my friend.

7. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    This is true; but they won't ignore it even if the OP does retake it. If they can do well, by all means retake. If they're clueless about C programming and "just won't ever get it", they may be better off cutting their losses now.

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I'd advise against retaking the course in which you earned an F. Move on & don't look back.

9. guamboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Math20A = Calculus for science/Engineering
    Chem6a = General Chemistry 1
    JAPN10a= Japanese 1
    ECE15 = C programming
    MMW = Making of The Modern World(Writing/history GE)

Thanks for the replies!

10. Pedsbro

7+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    Good grief, that one sounds awful...

11. 236116

You'll have to take the next level maths course, retake chem. everything else ought to be good. what are you looking at for next term?

12. jinx520

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Hafa Adai, Guamboy!

I agree w/ LizzieM--since you are planning on switching majors, don't retake the class you failed. If anyone asks, just say you realized that it wasn't the field for you. As long as you show an upward gpa trend, this first semester isn't going to kill you. One other piece of advice, try to arrange your schedule so that you have a nice balance of labor-intensive classes and easy classes.

13. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Don't retake, no you'll be fine, seen lots of people have this sort of issue, you may be doomed but not in med-school applications.

As above, work on the "upward trend"... and by that, do very well in all the classes you take from now on and you'll be fine. Yes, your GPA will probably never be above a 3.5, but if you kill your MCAT, and make good grades in the future (As and Bs) you can still definately go to med school (both Allopathic and Osteopathic).

The bigger issue is why did you switch? If you are sure that the physician thing is right for you, congrats, and be ready to explain it. You can plan on that coming up at any interviews you get. Have a very good answer ready.:thumbup:

14. guamboy

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    haha, hafa adai to you too! Are you from Guam too?

I'm getting mixed advice here. Some say retake it, some say don't retake it. Which should I do? By not retaking it wouldn't it lower my GPA? Given that I don't get straight A's the following quarters, should I retake it then? Also, I'm confident I will get at least an A- if I retake it, is it worth the shot?

Sorry so much questions and sorry if some of them are stupid and repetitive.

15. 236116

if you're 100 per cent sure, then do it.
    otherwise, a lot of a's will cancel it out, so it still won't matter that much.

16. Forthegood

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Cancelling out is a big joke. The primary application (at least for MD) makes you list all classes and all grades. Retaking classes won't change your BCPM and GPA where it counts.

So don't waste your time.

On the other hand, retaking a pre-med course is encouraged... shows drive and that your not an idiot.

17. 236116

5 a's you don't need for anything else= no more f.

a+d=c+

although i certainly wouldn't retake

18. Forthegood

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    on the other hand... 5 as is no walk in the park, and you'll be taking unimpressive classes that ADCOMs will take note of and you'll be wasting your time, money, and education.

Tough choice.

19. jinx520

5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Yup, JFK Islanders, baby! Anyway, when it comes time to fill out your AMCAS you have to put ALL your grades down, whether you retook them or not; or whether your school replaced the grade or not. So retaking the course if you are planning to change majors would be a waste of time. I would advise a retake ONLY if you are going to stick with your original major and if counts toward your major. The bad grade will be offset by getting good grades in your other classes, and you can explain it by saying you realized this wasn't the career path for you or something like that.

Even if you think you would get a good grade on a retake, if you change majors it will be a waste of time and money. Remember, your AMCAS GPA is a different beast than your school's GPA and the F is going to be calculated irregardless. I would advise a retake if you stick w/ that major, though.

Another thing to keep in mind, you don't have to change majors to biology just 'cause you want to go to medical school. You can just take the prereqs and major in whatever floats your boat.

If you have any questions anytime, just PM me and I'll be glad to help out.

20. cnfz

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Jinx is absolutely right about not having to major in bio to go to med school. Especially with bio majors being impacted now at UCSD, more competition will ensue. I'm at UCSD as well and you wouldn't believe how many blank stares I get when I say I'm a premed majoring in philosophy.:D
    Personally, I wouldn't retake that class and I'd just put it in the past. Good luck!:thumbup:

21. 146233

146233 Phthirius pubis

Medical Student
    Don't retake. It's a class you don't need in a major you won't have anymore. Leave it as a fluke and do what LizzyM said: don't look back. Good luck!