Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CrazyLikeAFox

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I know this is a very subjective topic but i was hoping to get some opinions from people about which school you would attend from these choices.

I have received a full tuition (does not cover fees etc) from Tufts, A&M and only a partial scholarship from the other schools.

I am deciding between

Boston University

Tufts

Texas A&M rural health

University of North Texas

All of them in Epidemiology. I want to eventually end up in Texas (where my family is). Any thoughts? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

If you want to end up in Texas, and you like the feel/faculty at A&M, I'd recommend that option.

If you want to be in Texas, especially if that means working in the Texas state public health system and you have a full ride to Texas A&M I say take it and run. State schools seem to offer specially nice introductions to working in the public health infrastructure of that state. That sounds like an amazing combination of things. That is of course, as the Wiingy stated, dependent on you thinking this school is a good fit for you. IF you have 0 interest in rural health then maybe reconsider.

Personally...I would say full rides are a tough thing to turn down.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the advice. The only thing holding me back is the reputation that Tufts has is pretty good. But it is mainly the undergraduate program i hear about.

Also, for you Texans, how is A&M viewed? I would have applied to UT but I applied VERY late in the cycle and UT will not even look at your app if it is past the deadline.

I know this is vague, but is A&M well regarded locally? Thanks I appreciated the input.

If you want to work and live in Texas upon graduation, I highly recommend UT-Houston. Their deadline was extended to April 1st so you can still make it in for Fall 2010.

A&M is in college station...UT-Houston is located in the Texas Medical Center with strong ties to many institutions located there, not to mention the large, diverse city of Houston...UT is also regarded better academically. I'd shoot for UT and see if you make it in before deciding.

thank you for the advice. I will submit my application tonight!

texas a&m is the better choice if yo want to be in texas

advice from an MPH EPI 2nd year: follow. the. money.

you should definitely go to the school that offered you the full scholarship. that kind of support is extremely rare for MPH programs and it would be foolish to turn it down.