Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cardiology88

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So here's my situation. I am a senior. My GPA right now is greater than 3.9. I don't have an acceptance this cycle but am on 4 waitlists, all of which want my senior transcripts after the semester ends. I am pretty sure I'm gonna get a C in one of the classes I am taking this semester. However my GPA will still probably be above 3.85. I have two options. Stay in this class, get a C, graduate, send transcripts to med schools and hope I can still get off the WL. Or drop this class, don't graduate, take a summer course in june and graduate late, then send my transcripts to med schools and hope for the best. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd just graduate. Do they need your transcripts even if they don't accept you first? That's lame. Plus, not graduating when you planned to might raise a red flag as well. It's not a good situation to be in by any means, but I'd just graduate now and work your ass off for the rest of the semester and try to pull that grade up.

So here's my situation. I am a senior. My GPA right now is greater than 3.9. I don't have an acceptance this cycle but am on 4 waitlists, all of which want my senior transcripts after the semester ends. I am pretty sure I'm gonna get a C in one of the classes I am taking this semester. However my GPA will still probably be above 3.85. I have two options. Stay in this class, get a C, graduate, send transcripts to med schools and hope I can still get off the WL. Or drop this class, don't graduate, take a summer course in june and graduate late, then send my transcripts to med schools and hope for the best. What do you guys think?

With a 3.9, the schools are certainly not concerned about your academics. I don't think they are waiting on ur transcripts take u off the WLs, u've proved urself academically already and a C will not hurt ur chances..

Graduate, send LOIs (and hopefully u've addressed any weak areas u had so that u can include that in ur LOI)

GL

Members don't see this ad :)

Wanting your transcript after the semester ends is routine for graduate & professional programs that are accepting college seniors. The transcript will show successful completion of the course of study & awarding of the degree and the school wants that in your permanent file. It is almost like saying, "get this to us as soon as you can so as to streamline the 'admit from the waitlist' routine." It also separates those who are serious about being on the waitlist from those who just forget to take themselves off the waitlist after they've made a final decision about attending elsewhere (little is more annoying in mid-June than calling someone with an offer only to have them decline it immediately because they're attending elsewhere).

Unless this is a premed pre-req, I don't see that a C at this stage in the game, and with your otherwise excellent gpa, would cause a school to withdraw an offer of admission.

There's still some time left this semester. Stay in the class, work hard, and graduate as planned. Your GPA now is awesome and it'll still be strong even with a C, which isn't definite yet.

Also, since you're a senior, I'm sure you're dying to graduate already. :)

Besides, you most likely cannot take summer courses and graduate on time. Even if the course is early in the summer session, you don't technically graduate until after the summer. I looked into this to see if I could finish my honors thesis during the summer. While I would have been finished within like 2 weeks of graduation, my technical date of graduation would not be until August 17th, which is after the orientation date at most schools.

Talk to the dean's office and see if you can still graduate (use the class) if you take the class pass/fail, pass/no pass, etc. Get it in writing if they say "yes."