Quantcast

Need some advice

BeMo Free Repeat™ On Us + 5 Med School Challenge
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mountaineer12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a WAMC thread awhile ago, but I have a new dilemma so I thought I'd start another one.

Here are my stats for reference:
PA resident, will graduate from WVU with a biology minor in May
GPA: 3.98 (or something like that, damn AMCAS counting that A- as a 3.7! :p )
MCAT: 28P (9, 9, 10)
Volunteering: 85 hours clinical (and continuing over the next year), about 50 non-clinical
Shadowing: 40 hours (two family medicine doctors)
Teaching: tutor at the writing center
Employment: news writer for the schools newspaper
Research: genetics lab for almost two years with a senior thesis, two summer programs, and I just got a job doing research for the next year

For awhile I've been planning on applying to WVU early decision for a couple of reasons:
-It saves a ton of money. I have good bit saved, but don't want to spend it all in case of an emergency
-With my low MCAT I'm not sure anyone else will give me a shot
-I think I could do better in a pool of about 20 people versus thousands
-I like Morgantown and it's a good school
-I'm in a serious relationship and I know he would prefer staying in Morgantown than moving

However, I've been starting to panic about not getting in. The Dean of the med school, one of the people on the admissions council, and numerous professors have told me not to worry, but I don't think they understand how competitive WVU has gotten for out of staters.

I feel like EDP at WVU isn't the sure thing I thought it was, but I may spend all that money applying other places and not get in either. I'm not retaking the MCAT (unless I'm unsuccessful this cycle) so I feel like I have two options:
1) Apply EDP at WVU and apply DO or wait a year if I get rejected
2) Apply MD broadly and maybe a few DOs right at the beginning of the cycle

I just can't help freaking out about how much money could be wasted if I choose number 2 though. Ahh I need some advice. Thanks!! :)

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a WAMC thread awhile ago, but I have a new dilemma so I thought I'd start another one.

Here are my stats for reference:
PA resident, will graduate from WVU with a biology minor in May
GPA: 3.98 (or something like that, damn AMCAS counting that A- as a 3.7! :p )
MCAT: 28P (9, 9, 10)
Volunteering: 85 hours clinical (and continuing over the next year), about 50 non-clinical
Shadowing: 40 hours (two family medicine doctors)
Teaching: tutor at the writing center
Employment: news writer for the schools newspaper
Research: genetics lab for almost two years with a senior thesis, two summer programs, and I just got a job doing research for the next year

For awhile I've been planning on applying to WVU early decision for a couple of reasons:
-It saves a ton of money. I have good bit saved, but don't want to spend it all in case of an emergency
-With my low MCAT I'm not sure anyone else will give me a shot
-I think I could do better in a pool of about 20 people versus thousands
-I like Morgantown and it's a good school
-I'm in a serious relationship and I know he would prefer staying in Morgantown than moving

However, I've been starting to panic about not getting in. The Dean of the med school, one of the people on the admissions council, and numerous professors have told me not to worry, but I don't think they understand how competitive WVU has gotten for out of staters.

I feel like EDP at WVU isn't the sure thing I thought it was, but I may spend all that money applying other places and not get in either. I'm not retaking the MCAT (unless I'm unsuccessful this cycle) so I feel like I have two options:
1) Apply EDP at WVU and apply DO or wait a year if I get rejected
2) Apply MD broadly and maybe a few DOs right at the beginning of the cycle

I just can't help freaking out about how much money could be wasted if I choose number 2 though. Ahh I need some advice. Thanks!! :)
For option 1, would you be applying DO after being rejected? I believe the EDP only prevents you from applying to other MD schools until the decision date; I don't think they have any restriction from applying DO (or at least, since it is a separate system, no communication that would prevent you from doing so). I could be wrong, of course.

I decided to apply EDP assuming I had a small chance of admission due to my EC's, and was accepted. I did so fully willing to re-apply next cycle more broadly. I have to admit, it was very nice to be sitting back, acceptance in hand in October, when most applicants are just starting to fret over what the decision will be (or still hoping for an interview). Make sure you are willing to do this another time next year, or forget about the EDP and apply broadly. If you do EDP, I would either apply DO and be willing to go DO, or forget about DO entirely this cycle if you would be tempted to apply again more broadly next year for MD schools if you are rejected from the EDP.

Spend the money this time and apply broadly if you want to be certain to gain admission this cycle. If you are willing to gamble on repeating the admission cycle, though, EDP may pay off for you, especially if admins from the med school have encouraged you to apply EDP. Good luck.

Mountaineer12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
If I got rejected I would probably hurry to apply DO in October. I don't think there's anything legally stopping me from applying DO at the same time as EDP, but there doesn't seem to be a good answer on whether or not this is a good idea just in case the EDP school finds out.

I'm fine with DO though I would prefer MD. I would really prefer getting in this cycle so you would suggest just applying regularly? I can probably only afford to apply to 10 MD schools and 5 DO schools, do you think that would that be enough?

WVU doesn't have a set number of EDP spots, they just take as many EDP applicants as they like, which is tempting and so is saving the money, but it would be worth applying broadly to keep options open and not risk EDP rejection where I might always wonder what if I had applied regularly.

dntke1518

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Technically there is nothing stopping you from applying to DO schools while applying for EDP, this question has come up before and the consensus was that you could manage. Applying to 15 schools overall should definetly bag an acceptance, so its really up to you and how bad you want to go to WVU.

Best of luck.

Mountaineer12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely okay with staying at WVU, but it's not an absolute necessity. With that being said, do you think applying regularly would be smarter since MD is my main goal? I don't mind DO and would be happy if that's where I get an acceptance, but I feel like I should take my best stab at MD and I'm not sure if that's EDP or applying early.

theseeker4

PGY 3
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm definitely okay with staying at WVU, but it's not an absolute necessity. With that being said, do you think applying regularly would be smarter since MD is my main goal? I don't mind DO and would be happy if that's where I get an acceptance, but I feel like I should take my best stab at MD and I'm not sure if that's EDP or applying early.
If your preference is MD, not specifically WVU, and you don't really want to risk no acceptances this cycle, apply regularly, broadly and intelligently. If you really want WVU, and are willing to wait a year to get in to maximize your chances there, I have to think applying EDP would up your chances at that specific school. EDP is probably your best shot at that specific school. For your best shot at an MD acceptance anywhere, obviously applying early and broadly is your best shot.

If you do apply EDP to WVU, either decide to wait until next year if you aren't successful and re-apply then, or apply DO concurrently and be willing to go DO if accepted. Don't apply after the EDP decision date or you will more likely than not be wasting your money (MD certainly, probably DO as well).

Mazdave

Reaction score
Would you be able to find out from somewhere or someone what the acceptance rate for OOS students applying EDP over the past couple of years is? Maybe it won't tell you much, but if every person they've accepted EDP recently has been IS, then you might be much better off applying broadly.

Mountaineer12

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I asked the admissions coordinator lady how many EDP program spots there were, how many students usually apply EDP, and how successful OOS students have been EDP in the past and this was her response:

1. Each year the number of Early Decision Program (EDP) applicants goes up, last year there were 18 with two non-residents. Therefore, there are the same number of spots for EDP applicants as we have applicants. If we have 18 that is how many slots we will use, that is, if everyone is accepted.
2. That varies every year, on average 10-12
3. We have only had a very non-resident applicants since we opened it up to non-residents three years ago. Our committee does not look at resident-non-resident applicants they look at the numbers and experiences. As a non-resident you would need a 3.5 Science and Total GPA and at least all 9's on the three numerical sections of the MCAT.

I asked if that meant there aren't a set number of EDP spots and if those two OOS students that applied this year were accepted and she said yes. I also know another OOS student who got in with similar stats as mine.

Now I'm back to thinking EDP is the way to go. This is so confusing! What do you guys think of her response?