Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Heatherette

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about applying to Washington University for MSW program. I live in St. Louis and it is the number one social work program in the country. Here's the problem, I was planning on relocating to FL and eventually go to school in FL. I felt that it would be a good idea to get my MSW in FL because I could network and of course, during my practicum I would start to know the system and different organizations in FL, so when I graduate, I would hope it would be a lot easier to have my foot in the door.

Now, Wash U has a excellent social work program and I believe that with my education (I already have a MA in gerontology, graduated with a 3.8 GPA) and work experience, not to mention some awards I have won for volunteer work(The President's Volunteer Service Award), I believe I have a good chance of getting in... I hope.

My question is: should I go to school in FL because that's where I'm going to relocate, or is it worth going to Washington U. and staying another two years in STL even though I'll probably leave the state once I graduate, but I would've gone to the top social work school in the country.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
If the schools in FL are decently good, I would go there. In general, unless the quality of education is drastically different, I would prefer the opportunity for networking and acclimating myself to the area over a ranking. I don't know your motivations for relocating to FL (family? marriage? etc.), but I would say those are more important than a school ranking as well.

If the schools in FL are decently good, I would go there. In general, unless the quality of education is drastically different, I would prefer the opportunity for networking and acclimating myself to the area over a ranking. I don't know your motivations for relocating to FL (family? marriage? etc.), but I would say those are more important than a school ranking as well.

I second this. Assuming you are still receiving a solid education, the networks and knowledge of the area are likely to be more important factors than the prestige of the academic institution.

Members don't see this ad :)
There is another program I'm checking out at Purdue. They offer a dual titled Ph.D sociology and gerontology. I love their program, plus I love research. They only reason why I was considering getting an MSW because I thought it would open more doors for me. Most likely it will, but my heart isn't in it. My first choice was already to get a Ph.D. Yes, I want to move to FL (I've always wanted to relocate there). Since I've talked to the graduate admissions, the program at Purdue is fully funded. If I get in, I would be doing exactly what I wanted to do two years ago when I graduated. If I become seriously about this, I would put FL on the back burner because not only would I be going to a great school, but I'll be doing the kind of work and research I want to do....plus with it being fully funded, I can't get beat that in comparison to paying tuition for an MSW in FL or anywhere else.

Does that make sense? I've been stressing out for the past several weeks because I was really trying to force myself to be motivated to go back for an MSW. I never wanted to get an MSW, but I was willing to do it because it would give me a leg up in the gerontology field. Im glad I came to this decision instead of spending thousands of dollars.

Funding is of course nice, and from my understanding, as you've said, is tough to find in MSW programs.

That being said, an MSW and a PhD in sociology/gerontology seem like two strikingly different career paths--the former focused almost entirely on working with patients/clients in some capacity, and the latter on research; the main area of overlap that I can think of would be administration, although advocacy could likely be another.

It sounds like you have an idea of what you'd like to do career-wise already, but if not, I'd definitely suggest giving that some thought.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check out Public Health Programs. The type of research I'm interested in are dealing with infectious diseases on the elderly. I did my master paper on HIV / AIDS in the elderly community. I also did a big paper on fertility in the aging body. Anything dealing with reproductive health, I'm definitely interested in.

Thanks for the link. I will definitely check out Public Health Programs. The type of research I'm interested in are dealing with infectious diseases on the elderly. I did my master paper on HIV / AIDS in the elderly community. I also did a big paper on fertility in the aging body. Anything dealing with reproductive health, I'm definitely interested in.

Some programs even have a dual MPH and MSW degree. That might give you more possibilities for research and practice. I know IUPUI located in Indianapolis has a dual MPH and MSW program, and from what I hear, it's well-regarded. Not sure about schools in FL though. :luck:

Most likely I won't go the MSW route. I would consider MPH though. There are a couple of programs I found that offer dual titled Phd programs. I can really see myself doing something within the sociology / gerontology aspect. I'm going to apply to some program and hope for the best. I have so many great ideas for topic. Some of the topics I've read are dealing with fall risk, Alzheimer's, nursing homes, etc. I like to do research thats edgy. I like to think outside the box. I wrote a big paper about HIV / AIDS in the elderly community because it's simply not talked about within that demographic. I used to work in a clinic and I can't tell how many times I had to tell a 55 and up adult that they had an STD.

Naturally, it's you choice... be aware of all those little hints, that you may collect along the way. Think it through, and than make the decision... Your choice of shool is probablly one of the most important steps... good luck ;)

Most likely I won't go the MSW route. I would consider MPH though. There are a couple of programs I found that offer dual titled Phd programs. I can really see myself doing something within the sociology / gerontology aspect. I'm going to apply to some program and hope for the best. I have so many great ideas for topic. Some of the topics I've read are dealing with fall risk, Alzheimer's, nursing homes, etc. I like to do research thats edgy. I like to think outside the box. I wrote a big paper about HIV / AIDS in the elderly community because it's simply not talked about within that demographic. I used to work in a clinic and I can't tell how many times I had to tell a 55 and up adult that they had an STD.

You research interests sound more like public health than sociology to me. Sociology is mired in theory, and applied work is usually considered insufficiently academic.

Good luck, whatever you decide.