Need Some Advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cosmicguardian

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I will soon be a senior at my university. Unfortunately I have a 2.7 GPA due to quite a few factors :( What are my chances of getting into such a program? Moreover what are the job aspects for someone with such a degree? Any advice I get will be greatly appreciated :D

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys, I will soon be a senior at my university. Unfortunately I have a 2.7 GPA due to quite a few factors :( What are my chances of getting into such a program? Moreover what are the job aspects for someone with such a degree? Any advice I get will be greatly appreciated :D

Hey, cosmicguardian. There are just too many variables to think about. Generally, GPAs above 3.0 is preferable and those above 3.5 is more competitive. Generally. If you are able to find the range of GPAs that programs have accepted, then perhaps that would give you a better picture of your chances. Unfortunately, it is more common for programs to report the median GPA. Also, chances with a GPA below 3.0 may vary depending on the school and the specific department/track.

I see a few possibilities.

- I have said this before elsewhere in the forum: GPAs under 3.0 must be explicitly addressed in your personal statement. It behooves applicants to explain to admissions members why the GPA is under 3.0. Lest a student was "slacking" or being "lazy," students who have a GPA under 3.0 usually had "something happened" (e.g., a medical leave) - and this must be explained, or else applicants run the risk of being perceived as lacking the work ethic required for graduate studies. (As I have said before, this will depend a great deal on your personal comfort about what to share and what not to share.) If you can make a connection between whatever the "thing" that happened and your interest in public health, then I think that is fodder for a great personal statement.

- Job prospects depend on what you want to study and what you want to do in the longer term. Jobs in the healthcare industry is robust across health fields, but is someone with a MD/MPH a "better" candidate than someone with "just" a MPH? (Some MPH programs have higher numbers of students coming in with advanced degrees. This is something to think about.) What is it you want to study? Why the MPH? What is it you want to do in the longer term?