Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

syperidot

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a dilemma....since you guys are already in med school I figure you guys can help clarify some things for me. I was wondering about residency and which looks better when applyin for a competitive residency...going to a low tier med school and acing classes and clinical, or going to a better respected school such as NYU and doing mediocre??

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think it matters much. Go where you would prefer to go when you look at the whole picture. Reputation and name should be one factor to consider but so should location, cost, general feel of the school, research opportunities, curriculum type, associated hospitals, etc. Don't expect to 'ace the material' at a lower tier school as the material is pretty much the same everywhere. Everyone takes the same board test.

Compare matchlists. People underestimate the value of going to a "name" school. Regardless of where you go, you'll work your butt off, so you might as well do it at a more respected institution. As said in the prior post, even at the lower tier schools you will encounter intense competition (sometimes even more competition than the 'name' school as people know they need to compensate for school's rep and grading system might be more toxic). Board scores are most important, for sure, but if 2 applicants have the same scores (one from name school, other from low tier school) all else being equal residencies will take the name school applicant.

Members don't see this ad :)
For a residency, as long as the letters behind your name say M.D. instead of D.O., you're in good shape. Just kidding...hahaha...I thought i was antgod for a second. It's all about what you do and how hard you work, not your school. Board scores are universal, and a good way to set yourself up for a good residency. Plus, learning is alot more independent in med school, so expect to work hard and take alot of initiative, regardless of where you go. I think i'd do just as well sitting at home and memorizing textbooks and first aid than going to class...anyone else feel the same way?

When I was applying to medical school, I toyed with what I thought was the same dilemma. Now that I am in medical school, I will say, go with where your heart tells you. I thought that if I went with what I thought was "a lower tier school" just based on their admission requirements I would be almost guaranteed to be in the top of the class, and while I'm holding my own ground, there are plenty of people in my class who are doing much much better than me - some of these people are so smart, I would expect that they would have turned down acceptances or large scholarships to top-rated schools, but some of them (who are doing much better than me) didn't get offers from other schools (for whatever reason). That's not to say that you might not get to a "lower-tier" school and ace the courses, but don't expect that that will be the case. Go where you feel like you will be happy & get a good education. From what I have heard (I'm only a first year), your board scores & your 3rd/4th yr rotations have the most to do with your residency placement.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

I agree... circle gets the square.
Fred

Funshine0123 said:
When I was applying to medical school, I toyed with what I thought was the same dilemma. Now that I am in medical school, I will say, go with where your heart tells you. I thought that if I went with what I thought was "a lower tier school" just based on their admission requirements I would be almost guaranteed to be in the top of the class, and while I'm holding my own ground, there are plenty of people in my class who are doing much much better than me - some of these people are so smart, I would expect that they would have turned down acceptances or large scholarships to top-rated schools, but some of them (who are doing much better than me) didn't get offers from other schools (for whatever reason). That's not to say that you might not get to a "lower-tier" school and ace the courses, but don't expect that that will be the case. Go where you feel like you will be happy & get a good education. From what I have heard (I'm only a first year), your board scores & your 3rd/4th yr rotations have the most to do with your residency placement.
Hope that helps. Good luck.

Your board scores and your clinical grades are what matter for residency. Your clinical grades will likely be the same wherever you go--it's not like you're going to do better during your clinical years at a lower-tier school than you would at a higher-ranked one. You MIGHT do better in your preclinical years at a lower-ranked school, but then again you might not, it's hard to tell and really depends on the individual school, their grading system, and your own learning style. And your performance on the boards will likely be the same regardless of where you go, since as people have said the first two years of med school are largely self-taught. So go where you want to go. Factors like location, "feel" of the school, financial considerations are all things to consider. If all other things are equal (including the finances, don't blow this off, the amount of debt you take on is important!) then I'd pick the higher-ranked school because it probably will give you an advantage for residency, all other things being equal.

P.S. I'm an MS2 at NYU and think it's a GREAT school. PM me if you have questions or want more info.

scootad. said:
...Board scores are most important, for sure, but if 2 applicants have the same scores (one from name school, other from low tier school) all else being equal residencies will take the name school applicant.

I felt compelled to respond to scootad's remark. This is not always true. I have been told by my advisor and several other faculty members who are responsible for selecting residents that name doesn't mean the resident will be better. In some cases residents from big name schools are less prepared for residency than those from lower tier schools. This may be because either they feel entitled since they attended a top school, or the school does a poor job preparing them. There is a running joke about residents from one of the ivy league schools who didn't even know how to do a history and physical. Probably an extreme case but funny nonetheless. I think it all boils down to the experience the program has had with students from those schools.

go to where you'll be happiest and think you'll get the most out of the school.