Need some advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pbehzad

Faddayy
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
ok well im kinda confused on whether I should take statistics or not in the spring cause I'll be taking the MCAT also. I want to take statistics cause it'll counter the grade I make in physics (so if I make a B in physics, I should be able to get an A in statistics so my science gpa wont be completely messed up). Another reason I want to take statistics is to boost up the science gpa,but I'm wondering is there much of a difference between a 3.6 sci. gpa and a 3.68 cause if I make A's in Statistics and Physics then the highest my sci gpa will be is only a 3.68. If i dont take statistics, my sci gpa will prolly be around 3.6-3.66, so is there a real point to taking it? I was planning on taking physics, poly sci, and history course in the spring with Kaplan course, but after thinking about it statistics could help the sci gpa. I feel the possibility of getting a 3.68 would make me more competitve since its so close to a 3.7. I do have to say that I am worried about physics cause I know I'm not that great at it.
Thanks for any responses and sorry for a long post.

Members don't see this ad.

If I read you correctly, your choices are:

A. stats and a possible 3.68 gpa.
B. no stats and a possible 3.66 gpa.

PLUS C. MCAT study/exam during the possible stats semester.

I'd choose B. There really isn't that much difference btwn the two gpa's. And when it comes to getting into your top choice school, .02 grade points WILL NOT make a difference. Things like your interview, EC's, etc. will. Besides, you really don't want to kill yourself the semester of the MCAT.

Good luck!

Thanks for the response, sorry if it was kind of confusing. Well if I don't take statistics the science gpa could be anywhere from a 3.6 to a 3.66. I like to be realistic and think that an A in physics may be a little out of my league, but an A- I definitely think I could get. So would you say there is a big difference between a 3.6 and 3.68 for example? I know I'm being a little to anal about this, sorry.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being anal is the curse of all of us, to some degree at least. ;)

Yeah, there is a bit of diff between a 3.6 and 3.68, at least in that most places will round up the 3.68 --> 3.7.

BUT!! You want to weigh that against the possible detrimental effects upon your MCAT score. Statistics is an interesting class. It can be fairly straightforward or unbelievabley tortuous, *depending upon the prof*. And it's not one of those classes that in any way directly contributes to your MCAT prep. And it could possibly distract you from fully concentrating upon the MCAT. If all else fails, you could try and take it during the summer. AND, if you did that, it's possible that you could take it at a community college, where the emphasis upon good teaching seems more important than at major universities (in my opinion).

Quick aside: is it Physics I or II (electricity, optics, and magnetism) that you're taking this spring?

Physics II, is that generally tougher than Physics I?

Originally posted by pbehzad

not really. just different.

Originally posted by pbehzad
No, not necessarily harder. Though you might want to consider waiting on the MCAT until you've had BOTH classes. Physics II material is covered on the MCAT.

Just a thought.