Need some advise! Completely Burned out.... and feeling a little scared.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Myopicvisions

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I feel like I am having an existential crisis and I really need some guidance!

I graduated this year with a BA in Biochemistry minoring in Political Science. I was ready to write my MCat this week (July 20) but I bottled out. I did the AAMC qpack material, NS full length etc but I felt there were too many holes in my content review. I felt burned out.
I plan to sit the Mcat in January 2020 but I want advise on what I can do to make my application as good as it can get for the next cycle.

So I have hospice volunteering( Over 500 hours), I shadowed a Radiation Oncologist for a month (Around 50hrs) and I have done various work with groups that work work with Breast Cancer awareness and Liver cancer awareness. I am working with a Cancer disparity project right now But Im not getting anything out of it but I did present a poster at a national conference. I did field work collecting samples for a global study. I am working as a Clinical Research Interviewer for a research study (CAPABLE). With the study the PI testified before the house committee and the research was green-lighted as something that will be looked into to see whether it can be part of MedicCare advantage.
I feel my application will be much more solid by next cycle as i will have had one year in this study. I also do really well recruiting and interviewing patients.
I believe the doctor will give me an incredible LOR and I have another LOR that I will get from a professor in my Biochem major (I did not have that and I know some schools want that LOR)

yet with all that. Knowing that I have all the baseline (bar the MCat) I feel like I am missing something.
Is this normal? I am not doubting medicine but I feel completely scared that I wont have enough. Not to mention Im non trad so there is that.

Is there anything extra that anyone can recommend that I should try to do?
Should I focus on a high score on the MCat alone or is there any kind of research that I should try to get into?

Please help this burned out candidate.

Thanks you.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Guys,

I feel like I am having an existential crisis and I really need some guidance!

I graduated this year with a BA in Biochemistry minoring in Political Science. I was ready to write my MCat this week (July 20) but I bottled out. I did the AAMC qpack material, NS full length etc but I felt there were too many holes in my content review. I felt burned out.
I plan to sit the Mcat in January 2020 but I want advise on what I can do to make my application as good as it can get for the next cycle.

So I have hospice volunteering( Over 500 hours), I shadowed a Radiation Oncologist for a month (Around 50hrs) and I have done various work with groups that work work with Breast Cancer awareness and Liver cancer awareness. I am working with a Cancer disparity project right now But Im not getting anything out of it but I did present a poster at a national conference. I did field work collecting samples for a global study. I am working as a Clinical Research Interviewer for a research study (CAPABLE). With the study the PI testified before the house committee and the research was green-lighted as something that will be looked into to see whether it can be part of MedicCare advantage.
I feel my application will be much more solid by next cycle as i will have had one year in this study. I also do really well recruiting and interviewing patients.
I believe the doctor will give me an incredible LOR and I have another LOR that I will get from a professor in my Biochem major (I did not have that and I know some schools want that LOR)

yet with all that. Knowing that I have all the baseline (bar the MCat) I feel like I am missing something.
Is this normal? I am not doubting medicine but I feel completely scared that I wont have enough. Not to mention Im non trad so there is that.

Is there anything extra that anyone can recommend that I should try to do?
Should I focus on a high score on the MCat alone or is there any kind of research that I should try to get into?

Please help this burned out candidate.

Thanks you.
Get a good MCAT and you are GTG. Three questions, however: What is your GPA? Have you taken the MCAT? And are you an international applicant?

The last one is because I don’t think I have met an American that says they “write” an exam...? Am I the weird one? Is that an East Coast thing? Because it is definitely not a west coast thing...

Reactions: 1 users
Get a good MCAT and you are GTG. Three questions, however: What is your GPA? Have you taken the MCAT? And are you an international applicant?

The last one is because I don’t think I have met an American that says they “write” an exam...? Am I the weird one? Is that an East Coast thing? Because it is definitely not a west coast thing...
My GPA is 3.54. Not so great. I was taking this week but Im travelling next week and just couldnt focus. I am aiming for 520 or above but I was looking at a 505. (I only studied for 6 weeks...not long enough)
I know I have some content holes so I just felt it would be better to delay.
I am international! Im British but a LPR. I will naturalize once I come back to the US.

The writing exam thing? Honestly.. I just started to see that and it looked wierd to me. Tbh .. I just used it "because" but my preferred wording is Im taking it. lol. It may well be an East Coast thing (Im on the EC)

Thanks so much. I was minor stressing about whatelse I could do but I know my LOR's right now are kick ass. I just need to focus on thee MCat.

Ok

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Good for you for delaying when you didn't feel ready. Too often people rush an exam to get a late app in and it comes back to bite them.

Your extracurriculars are good. The only thing I would suggest is more shadowing and this time of a physician in primary care (Peds, FM).

By far the most important thing is your MCAT score. If you really do get a 512+ MD is in play. While I admire your commitment to these projects, I'd suggest disengaging from them or putting them on the back burner at least two months out from the test to focus solely on prep.

Good luck!

Write the MCAT seems to be a Canadian thing.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
i confirm - it is NOT an east coast thing :)))

I agree with everything previous ppl said. Just one more thing to add- as a non-traditional applicant, i know how hard it is to evaluate yourself. There will always be doubts, - trust me. You will try to compare yourself to others, and you will feel even more doubts. Do the best you possible can in MCAT. Your ECs look pretty solid to me. Once your MCAT is done, just make the best of it. Things will never be "perfect". Have faith that you have done everything you could, and make a good story out of it. it is YOUR story, be proud of it. At that point, it will all come down to your essays and interview skills.