Need Some Answers

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

highroller24

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure this is the right place to post this so here goes...

I just finished my sophomore year at James Madison University. My major is psychology, i'm minoring in health sciences and I'm in the pre-med track as well. My first 3 semesters were not that great. For some reason, I just could not get my act together. I knew I had the talent and the ability to make amazing grades in college so my 4th semester in, I did just that. I just got my grades this morning and I although I realize there is a lot of consideration taken into undegrad research, mcat scores, and volunteer/community work, I was wondering if anybody would be able to let me know if I'm on a good start and if I keep getting better and better if I will have a chance at making it into an Allopathic school. I think it's worth mentioning that I made Dean's List this semester as well!:)

Biology 114 (Organisms) - A+
Chemistry 131 - B
Chemistry 131 Lab - B-
Religions of the World - A-
Italian 102 - A-
Health Psychology - A-

GPA: 3.59 for this semester

Members don't see this ad.

those are decent grades, but what is your overall GPA thus far

Well, right now it is a 2.78. I'm planning on staying another year in college in order to raise my GPA even more. During these extra semesters, I plan on taking courses not required but reccommended such as Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Genetics etc. just so I can stand out even more.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, right now it is a 2.78. I'm planning on staying another year in college in order to raise my GPA even more. During these extra semesters, I plan on taking courses not required but reccommended such as Microbiology, Anatomy, Biochemistry, Genetics etc. just so I can stand out even more.

You won't really "stand out" with those classes since all bio majors take them (and they're usually required by med schools). If you keep your GPA on the up and up and wait to apply after you graduate (when your GPA will be maximized) with a solid MCAT score and ECs that you'd have more time to develop and add through your senior year, maybe find a good clinical/research job after graduating and while you are applying you could have a reasonably good shot at getting an allo acceptance. This all hinges on your MCAT score though and maintaining a strong upward trend in your GPA. Remember to balance your time well between studying and your ECs because they can make or break you.

True, maybe I wouldn't "stand out" against all the other applicants, but at least I would have more sciences under my belt than most psychology majors and I'm sure I could make that point during an interview. Thank you for your thoughts!!

So, making some assumptions, if you have a 2.78 after four semesters, then after another four semesters with a straight 4.0, you'd be up to 3.39. A fifth year in college getting all As, would raise your GPA to 3.51. It could go higher if you go to summer school. With a high MCAT score 32+ you'd have a shot at allo schools.

If there are some bumps in the road in terms of maintaining a high GPA, then keep in mind that DO med schools are more forgiving of early academic difficulty, and you might still be able to gain an acceptance there. Of particular note is their policy of replacing a retaken grade and not counting the first try when they calculate your appication GPA.

^ I'm actually glad you brought that up (how MD schools will count all grades even if you have exercised a "repeat forgiveness" which is what they call it at my school). It's when you retake a course, but the school doesn't factor the old grade in your GPA, just the new one. I did get an F in Chemistry and my Chemistry Lab my 3rd semester in, but exercised my repeat forgiveness in order to try again this semester. I guess my other question is, when they go do calculate my sGPA 1. Will all MD schools total up all my grades even if I have used this repeat forgiveness or have some schools been known to not be so strict about this rule and 2. If they do factor it into the sGPA, will they be understanding (I know this is a bad word to use when talking about allopathic schools, but it is the only word that really fits haha) when they see it drop say from a 3.6 to a 3.3? Will they take the sGPA WITHOUT the F into consideration too?

All MD schools include all grades earned when calculating your application GPA, regardless of what your undergrad school does to calculate your GPA. Some schools give less weight to the freshman year, but this is rare.

Will they be understanding? Yes, they will if you have a good explanation (and you will be asked if you get an interview), but unfortunately this will not excuse you from proving you can get a better grade and compensating for a low grade with several high ones to get your GPA back up.

I expect this means that your AMCAS GPA won't be 2.78 then, huh?

No, it will be a 2.5 if you calculate the F. Thanks for the answers!

No, it will be a 2.5 if you calculate the F. Thanks for the answers!
So it looks like you'd have a 3.4 AMCAS GPA after five years of college, assuming straight As from now on. If you got a really high MCAT, you might be fine applying to MD schools. Or you could apply through AACOMAS to DO schools with the higher number and wouldn't need a wow-level MCAT score.