Need some backup

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

boxentrish

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,
I have been reading the forums, however, not posting, so here goes.

I am posting to see your impression with my future pusuit of a medical career.

I am a year out of a 4 year degree from Arizona State University, in Sociology of Race. I graduated at 3.4. I am moving to the bay area to attend San Francisco State University's Post bacculaurate Pre-med program. It should take me about two years to finish.

I have been in the Air Force Reserves for 5 years in Medical Administration and AirVac. My commander (doctor) said that he would highly recommend me to medical school and would write a letter of rec. Among others who agreed to write me a letter.

My undergrad, I got lots of that important stuff, honor society, research participation, received grants, tutored, leadership awards, T.A., etc.

I am currently a Middle School Counselor.

So I am asking all you pro's out there, what I need to make sure I have in place over the next two years (scores, grades, e.c.) for acceptance into a medical school?

Thanks
Boxentrish

Members don't see this ad.

make sure you get some clinical experience along the way.

there's a doctor shadowing program in the emergency department at San Francisco General Hospital that's great for exposure and learning the "language" of medicine...it's a county hospital, so it will get very intense at times.

best of luck on your journey and welcome to SDN!

-joe joe

I agree with Joe - get some clinical experience somehow. Also, and I'm sure this goes without saying, make sure you do well in your post-bac program, as a 3.4 is a little bit low for a GPA. Also, do the very best you can on the MCAT (shoot for 30+).

With regard to applying, I think the biggest service you can do yourself is to write a very good personal statement. This is looked at quite heavily in interviews, and I think it plays a significant role in your chances for admission.