Need some evaluation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

InspiringRN

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello SDN,

I am a male latino nurse that is going back to medical school. I would appreciate if I received some advice on my resume.

GPAs 3.9 GPAc 3.8
Full-time Registered Nurse for 3 years
Volunteered in a underprivileged free clinic for two years.
Tutored basic sciences for a year. (love to teach)

I was planning to be a family nurse practitioner but I decided,through much thought, that medicine was the right decision for me.

I am applying this cycle and I am going to take the MCAT on June 21.

My question is, are my lack of actual leadership positions or research experiences going to hindered my chances to get into an allophatic school? Should I delay and apply next cycle? If I get a 30+(or even a 27-29) on the MCAT, what are my chances this cycle?

Also, if you comment about my nursing being a negative. I've heard it a hundred times already. I love my job but I also I believe I would provide a greater contribution to my patients by becoming a physician. Anyways, any input would be helpful and thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello SND,

I am a male latino nurse that is going back to medical school. I though I get some advice on my resume so far.

GPAs 3.9 GPAc 3.8
Full-time Registered Nurse for 3 years
Volunteered in a underprivileged free clinic for two years.
Tutored basic sciences for a year. (love to teach)

I was planning to be a family nurse practitioner but I decided,through much thought, that medicine was the right decision for me.

I am applying this cycle and I am going to take the MCAT on June 21.

My question is, is my lack of actual leadership position or research experience going to hindered my chances to get into an allophatic school? Should I delay and apply next cycle? If I get a 30+(or even a 27-29) on the MCAT, what are my chances this cycle?

Also, if you comment about my nursing being a negative. I've heard it a hundred times already. I love my job but I also I believe I would provide a greater contribution to my patients by becoming a physician. Anyways, any input would be helpful and thanks! :)

As a URM (under-represented minority) with strong clinical and volunteer experience and a high GPA, if you get a 30+ MCAT you are in great shape to be accepted to medical school. With a 27-29 you will probably still be competitive at lower-tier schools. Have you led any committees or championed any projects as an RN? If so, I would consider those leadership experiences. I wouldn't worry about the lack of research experience if you are not interested in a top 10 school. Non-traditional applicants tend to be forgiven more easily for a lack of activities.

I would do a search on www.mdapplicants.com for more information. You can look for people with similar stats to yours who are also minorities to see where they were accepted.

Members don't see this ad :)
My question is, is my lack of actual leadership position or research experience going to hindered my chances to get into an allophatic school?

Have you led any committees or championed any projects as an RN? If so, I would consider those leadership experiences.
If you've been given the responsibility to train new employees or volunteers, that could also be spun into leadership.

Have you been involved in any quality improvement project? This could be listed under "Other" if it's not actually "Research" in disguise (see a problem, create a hypothesis, design a way to test the theory, implement, analyze, and draw a conclusion, then make a change).
I wouldn't worry about the lack of research experience if you are not interested in a top 10 school. Non-traditional applicants tend to be forgiven more easily for a lack of activities
I agree.

Do you have the Biochem, college math, and some upper-level Bio that many med schools like to see or even require?

As a URM (under-represented minority) with strong clinical and volunteer experience and a high GPA, if you get a 30+ MCAT you are in great shape to be accepted to medical school. With a 27-29 you will probably still be competitive at lower-tier schools. Have you led any committees or championed any projects as an RN? If so, I would consider those leadership experiences. I wouldn't worry about the lack of research experience if you are not interested in a top 10 school. Non-traditional applicants tend to be forgiven more easily for a lack of activities.

I would do a search on www.mdapplicants.com for more information. You can look for people with similar stats to yours who are also minorities to see where they were accepted.

Awesome site didn't know about it till today. I have not done much at the hospital in terms of leading any projects so far. It is a small hospital and I have been a charge nurse a few times but not consistently. Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into it. So there is not a chance to get into any top medical schools without research?

Hello. You've taken the premed versions of the prereqs, right? I have to ask because the med schools will not accept the typical chemistry and physics courses taught to nurses, because the courses aren't comprehensive. I'm assuming you have, and in that case, assuming the rest of your app is good, you're in great shape. As a Latino applicant, you have roughly a 67% chance of getting into an MD school with an MCAT between 21 and 23. If your score is 24-26, your chances are approx 72%. A 27-29 gives you an 87% shot, and a 30+ score gives you roughly a 93% chance. Submit your app as soon as possible in June and apply to at least 20 schools. What is your state of residence? If I were you, I'd study hard, but would feel great about a 27 if you apply broadly and early. Again, you are in great shape. Even if you score 18-20 you are 50/50 to get in according to past applicant stats. By apply early, especially if your mcat is below 25.

I have taken half of the pre-reqs at a community college. The other half chemistry, physics, calculus and organic at a 4 year university. I have a Bachelor's degree in Nursing. I am a Texas resident. Thanks for the numbers DAN, they are reassuring. I will study very hard for the MCAT, I just don't want to delay my application any longer.

If you've been given the responsibility to train new employees or volunteers, that could also be spun into leadership.

Have you been involved in any quality improvement project? This could be listed under "Other" if it's not actually "Research" in disguise (see a problem, create a hypothesis, design a way to test the theory, implement, analyze, and draw a conclusion, then make a change).I agree.

Do you have the Biochem, college math, and some upper-level Bio that many med schools like to see or even require?

Like I said. I have not done much in terms of leadership positions other than been a charge nurse and teaching nursing students.

I have taken calculus, microbiology, and anatomy & physiology in which I received all A's. No Bio chem :( I wish I had the time to have taken it. I see that I need to involved in my work more. I will look into joining a committee. Thanks for the input.

1) Like I said. I have not done much in terms of leadership positions other than been a charge nurse and teaching nursing students.

2) I have taken calculus, microbiology, and anatomy & physiology in which I received all A's. No Bio chem :( I wish I had the time to have taken it. I see that I need to involved in my work more. I will look into joining a committee. Thanks for the input.
1) Ahhh, Charge Nurse. How is that not Leadership? You coordinated the efforts of other staff members and were responsible that all tasks were completed. Nursing students were part of that team and needed orientation, instruction, oversight, and evaluation, and maybe even discipline. So, you're good.

2) What you have is excellent.

Awesome site didn't know about it till today. I have not done much at the hospital in terms of leading any projects so far. It is a small hospital and I have been a charge nurse a few times but not consistently. Thanks for the input, I will definitely look into it. So there is not a chance to get into any top medical schools without research?

Being charge, even infrequently, is a great leadership experience. :) You should definitely list that.

Most top med schools are research-oriented. It isn't an absolute requirement, but nearly all applicants to top schools list some sort of research experience. However, if you score very well on the MCAT, some top schools will be willing to look past that because you have a unique background and excellent grades. You never know what an adcom is looking for in an applicant, so it can't hurt to apply if you have the money.

So there is not a chance to get into any top medical schools without research?
One of our mods got into Baylor, a research-strong institution, with exceptionally strong clinical experience through work, but no research. I don't recall the details about his leadership and community service, though. Usually, for such schools, when there is no research, it can be compensated for with extraordinary achievement in another field of endeavor.

Thank you so much for taken the time look at my resume. I tend to downplay my stats because I see so many people here with such great applications that I feel like mine don't even compare. I will apply to a few high-tier schools and see what happens. It never hurts to try! :thumbup:

Does it matter what type of URM ? I see Hispanic but that is pretty broad. We are mixture of many different types of culture and ethnic backgrounds. Is there any difference If apply as a native Peruvian born person?

Last edited:
It used to be that you had an advantage if your Hispanic background was Mexican or Puerto Rican. Now each school decides for itself what it considers "underrepresented." If you are a native and fluent Spanish speaker who maintains ethnic roots, from my observation, you would fill a niche that may schools yearn to have represented regardless.