Need some guidance.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KobeshouldbeaMD

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Let's cut to the chase.

I just started my junior year.

I have a 3.8GPA and a 29 MCAT (11PS,7VR,11BS) NJ resident
I only have a year of research and I worked in a dental office.
I am taking a hefty semester.

At this point I have two choices:

1. Spend the rest of this year beefing up my application because it is clear that I have very weak clinical EC's, so rack up at least 250 hrs in a hospital + Shadow physicians.

2. Restudy for the MCAT and if I am scoring around 30's retake in Jan 25th.

Where do you guys think I should invest my time? In clinical EC's or trying to retake the MCAT?

To be completely honest, I don't mind going DO at all, I would be honored to go to a school like NYCOM, TouroCOM or UMDNJ-SOM etc..., but I would really love if I could go to Rutgers Med school (NJMS).

I am personally leaning toward option #1, I would just really appreciate some objective points of view to tell me in further detail the pros and cons of each choice. Thank you for your time.

Members don't see this ad.

Why not both?

I am taking 22 credits this semester. I really don't know if I commit to everything on my plate efficiently if I try to juggle everything at once. My biggest fear is taking the MCAT again and doing worse, essentially shooting myself in the foot. What do you think would be the wisest choice in this scenario?

Members don't see this ad :)
You should try to do both. If that's really not an option, I'd keep the MCAT and do #1. Your total MCAT score is above the 10%ile for Rutgers, so you can be competitive. If I were you, I'd contact their admissions office and set up a meeting to discuss your application with an emphasis on whether you need to increase your verbal score. A 7 is low so your best course of action is to determine whether that alone makes you uncompetitive.

Are you opposed to taking a gap year? Your school load doesn't sound very conducive to the possibility of actually strengthening/committing time to your ecs, especially if you might be restudying/retaking the mcats. You could space things out more with an extra year and avoid the whole burnout thing too :p

Are you opposed to taking a gap year? Your school load doesn't sound very conducive to the possibility of actually strengthening/committing time to your ecs, especially if you might be restudying/retaking the mcats. You could space things out more with an extra year and avoid the whole burnout thing too :p

Actually yes lol, I am super opposed to taking a gap year I don't really want to stay an extra year in undergrad or a masters or whatever, I wanna get to Med School ASAP.

Actually yes lol, I am super opposed to taking a gap year I don't really want to stay an extra year in undergrad or a masters or whatever, I wanna get to Med School ASAP.

You don't know what a gap year is, do you? You don't have to do either, but expand your ECs. Apply after you graduate and use your free time to work on ECs.

Even if you plan on doing what you thought, you'll be an average applicant (or even below average). So don't be startled if you have to reapply.

And 22 credits per semester isn't horrible. What major are you btw?

You don't know what a gap year is, do you? You don't have to do either, but expand your ECs. Apply after you graduate and use your free time to work on ECs.

Even if you plan on doing what you thought, you'll be an average applicant (or even below average). So don't be startled if you have to reapply.

And 22 credits per semester isn't horrible. What major are you btw?

I feel like you're taking what I intended on saying in an aggressive way.

I understand gap years don't have to involve academics at all, but from my perspective at least, which is clearly just a subjective one, I feel that taking a gap year is completely unnecessary for a guy like myself.

I am a Philosophy major with minors in Biology and Psychology.

And just for the record I'm applying next cycle, not this one, I am planning on applying very early.

Also, I am a URM, I really didn't want to mention that in my first post because I don't like waving that term around as if I was using it as some sort of cop-out or anything.

From the information I presented to you, Agent B, what do you think is my best course of action?

I understand gap years don't have to involve academics at all, but from my perspective at least, which is clearly just a subjective one, I feel that taking a gap year is completely unnecessary for a guy like myself.

And just for the record I'm applying next cycle, not this one, I am planning on applying very early.

Also, I am a URM, I really didn't want to mention that in my first post because I don't like waving that term around as if I was using it as some sort of cop-out or anything.

From the information I presented to you, Agent B, what do you think is my best course of action?

I didn't mean to sound aggressive. I was disputing your perception given the context so sorry it came out that way.

Ok so your semester is indeed pretty rigorous in that case. so you're doing the right thing in avoiding overloading yourself. But what I would suggest is to do a few hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing each week.

Are you planning on continuing your research? Either way, i'd suggest retaking the MCAT as well next year (it can be done with clinical activities). If you break 30, you'll have a good chance at low/mid tier schools if you apply early and broadly. And the URM helps your chances. (this is all in the context of MD schools. DO, you're a shoe-in, even with your current stats and ECs. Be sure to get a DO letter though)

I mean it's totally up to you, I have similar stats to you, but 4 years worth of ECs and still chose to take a gap year. I don't regret anything, and am using the time to pursue outside interests. Not everyone who takes one needs one, I do feel 100% more relaxed and stress free despite being in the middle of the current application cycle. It's just hard to commit to significant shadowing/volunteering, research, work, and possible leadership positions, on top of studying for the mcat. That's what I originally did, and my score reflects that. :laugh:

If you find that the work load/ec thing is too much, I'd say keep the option open. It's not a bad thing; many of the M1s and M2s I know have done it and go to great schools/had great stats

I didn't mean to sound aggressive. I was disputing your perception given the context so sorry it came out that way.

Ok so your semester is indeed pretty rigorous in that case. so you're doing the right thing in avoiding overloading yourself. But what I would suggest is to do a few hours of clinical volunteering/shadowing each week.

Are you planning on continuing your research? Either way, i'd suggest retaking the MCAT as well next year (it can be done with clinical activities). If you break 30, you'll have a good chance at low/mid tier schools if you apply early and broadly. And the URM helps your chances. (this is all in the context of MD schools. DO, you're a shoe-in, even with your current stats and ECs. Be sure to get a DO letter though)

My goal is to be a physician so I don't mind going DO, thank you for the perspective. I really wanna murder my EC's this year.

I mean it's totally up to you, I have similar stats to you, but 4 years worth of ECs and still chose to take a gap year. I don't regret anything, and am using the time to pursue outside interests. Not everyone who takes one needs one, I do feel 100% more relaxed and stress free despite being in the middle of the current application cycle. It's just hard to commit to significant shadowing/volunteering, research, work, and possible leadership positions, on top of studying for the mcat. That's what I originally did, and my score reflects that. :laugh:

If you find that the work load/ec thing is too much, I'd say keep the option open. It's not a bad thing; many of the M1s and M2s I know have done it and go to great schools/had great stats

Personally, I'd feel really uncomfortable taking a gap year, but I totally understand where you're coming from. Thank you for your insight though, I can't be narrow-minded about this sort of thing.

Speaking as someone who got a 35 on the MCAT, but still had to reapply, I suggest getting some clinical experience down. You will need to be able to articulate why you want to go into medicine, and that you at least have some idea of what you are getting into.

With your MCAT, you'll be able to get in somewhere. I heard of someone in the first year class at my school who got in with a 26, and our average is somewhere in the mid-30's. So it's better if you spend your time doing something that will actually improve your chances substantially.