need some guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cbkoc

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone, i'm new here and am looking to be pointed in the right direction. i have somewhat of an idea of what kind of work i'd like to do in the future, but am not sure quite on how to get there. i've been wavering recently on the idea of getting my phd, but don't know too much about the other degrees. i would like to ideally work in a hospital on a team, or in some other clinical setting, working with kids (i've actually recently been looking into 'health psychology' too, heh). any ideas on what would be best for me? would a masters allows me to do all that? and what about the breakdown of degrees? i'm currently a sophomore psych major/bio minor with solid research experience.

any advice is appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

i've been wavering recently on the idea of getting my phd, but don't know too much about the other degrees. i would like to ideally work in a hospital on a team, or in some other clinical setting, working with kids (i've actually recently been looking into 'health psychology' too, heh). any ideas on what would be best for me? would a masters allows me to do all that? and what about the breakdown of degrees? i'm currently a sophomore psych major/bio minor with solid research experience.
any advice is appreciated!

cbkoc - Welcome :)

This question is asked a lot here and answered a lot here. What you are wondering about doesn't have any answers, just more questions, just like life!

So....

First thing - read the sticky post at the top of this forum written by Pingouin. It was written in 2008 and speaks mostly to the MSW/LCSW seeker - but there is some great info in there. Read that first ok?

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=506622

Second - there is a blunt thread on the PhD/PsyD board called Would you do it again? Read that - (without your rose colored glasses and with a grain or two or more of salt - YMMV - your mileage may vary)

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=895560

I found this interview/article an interesting snapshot of one person's experience with getting an advanced degree in psychology.

http://studentdoctor.net/2011/11/20-questions-jennie-kaufman-singer-phd/

For some reason, I am having trouble with SDN timing out right now and cannot locate the other threads - but this will get you started.

Third - Go Volunteer in the setting that you think you want to work in. Want to work in the hospital? Contact HR and ask if you can shadow the health professional that you think you might want to be. My local hospital has a wonderful program for shadowing. Also psychology undergrads are able to do a senior field placement in a variety of settings - psychiatric hospital, group homes, sex offender tx, homeless shelters, nursing homes working with dementia, juvenile justice centers and more. It is really hard to know what you want to do without doing it. In my experience, the grad students who have worked in the field of counseling before entering grad school - either as a job or as part of their undergrad education had an easier time AND were better able to use their time in grad school.

I wish you the best,

VL

thanks a lot! i did quite a bit of research today and think i'd be interested most in either a masters in clinical psychology or health psychology. i'm pretty set on that i'd like to work with kids, it just comes down to narrowing between the 2 at this point. i've already interned last summer with a bunch of therapists in a behavioral clinical setting-awesome experience, a little nerve-wracking/anxiety-inducing :p

does anybody know anything at all about health psychology? i've never really heard of it before, is it up-and-coming?

also, most importantly, exactly how hard would it be to get into top schools for one of these 2 programs? (not even sure what those schools might be, i'll pick up some rankings books next week). is it as nearly as competitive as phd programs? i would ideally like to go right after graduation in 2 years, as i have research experience since freshmen year/good stats and all.

anyone with any help, thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Be advised that in many states, a master's degree in clinical psychology isn't license-eligible. It's more of a pathway to a Ph.D. than anything else. You might want to look into counseling psych or mental health counseling programs.

interesting...so you can't do anything with a masters in clinical but you can with a masters in counseling? i had just assumed clinical was more dealing with the pathological. sooo i supposed without the phd it would be useless...

there's certainly a lot to sort through in this field 0_o

Be advised that in many states, a master's degree in clinical psychology isn't license-eligible. It's more of a pathway to a Ph.D. than anything else. You might want to look into counseling psych or mental health counseling programs.

interesting...so you can't do anything with a masters in clinical but you can with a masters in counseling? i had just assumed clinical was more dealing with the pathological. sooo i supposed without the phd it would be useless...

I will have a master's in clinical psychology that is license-eligible, so it is possible. The difference, in my experience, is not that it is dealing more with pathological populations (at the masters level, anyway), but that there is more training in testing as well as specific theoretically-based modalities. Also, in my experience, research opportunities are more in line with specific clinical populations/interventions (rather than broader issues, such as multiculturalism and general outcomes). It all really depends on culture of the school/department, though.

I will have a master's in clinical psychology that is license-eligible, so it is possible.

What state are you in? What license will you have? What are the requirements for direct and indirect hours post masters? What licensing exam will you need to pass.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I find it fascinating the different paths in our profession.

VL

What state are you in? What license will you have? What are the requirements for direct and indirect hours post masters? What licensing exam will you need to pass.

Inquiring minds want to know :)

I find it fascinating the different paths in our profession.

VL

I'm in Illinois, but I'm moving out of state for a doctoral program. I'm eligible for an LPC here, equivalent license elsewhere. I'm not exactly sure of the requirement for hours, since I'm moving and won't be pursuing counselor licensure long-term, but I think it's 3,000 hours with 1,500 direct and the NCE (which I'm taking at my school before I graduate).

Thanks Psychedelic - I didn't know that about Illinois - but after you mentioned it - I realized it is similar in Pennsylvania. Thanks for the info.

I look forward to hearing more about your journey. I imagine there is a lot you can share with people here who are struggling with the whole MA vs. Doctoral dilemma.

Best wishes in your future doctoral endeavors.

VL