Need some help. Any one out there????????

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by guru, Mar 2, 2002.

1. guru

guru Member

I am a new comer into this forum. I applied into several schools for advanced standing
    and the last one left now is NYU . My part 1 score was 82 (which explains why I am being turned
    down almost everywhere). I have just made up my mind to write part 1 again this year.

Now my question is what is the best approach to scoring 90+ in part 1? I'll appreciate every
    piece of advice, thanks and God bless.

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Big_Poppa DDS

Big_Poppa DDS Senior Member

I wouldn't retake Part 1 at all. Having passed is good enough and 82 is not that bad of a score. I thought advanced standing students were only granted admission if a spot should become available. I know people with lower scores who were accepted at Marquette. Maybe just apply to more schools. If you really want to take the test again, I scored over 90 and I went throught the Dental Decks 4 times and went through some old exams. Part 2 I studied less, went through the decks twice and only a one or two old exams and scored a few points less.

4. Henna

Moderator Emeritus

I highly recommend you to re-take part 1. (sorry big-poppa).

5. guru

guru Member

Thanks to Big Poppa and Perplexed .I really appreciate your response.
    I've realised that most people being called for interviews scored 85 and above. This is why I'm hoping to re-take part 1.
    Apart from NYU and Tufts ,which other 5 schools have a high intake of dentists for advanced standing?

6. Henna

Moderator Emeritus

BU I guess.

7. guru

guru Member

Hey Perplexed ,
    How 'bout U-Penn, U-Conn, U-Pitt,Indiana and Nova Southeastern in Florida. What are my chances and also what do u know about them?

8. Hope7

Hope7 Member

Hmm. What does it mean to apply for advanced standing? I don't get it.

9. Henna

Moderator Emeritus

Advanced standing is a program for foreign dental graduates who wants to practice in the US. Its a 2-3 yrs program.

10. Henna

Moderator Emeritus

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by guru:
    <strong>Hey Perplexed ,
    How 'bout U-Penn, U-Conn, U-Pitt,Indiana and Nova Southeastern in Florida. What are my chances and also what do u know about them?</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Most of the schools have a pretty high cut off score, you can try of course ( each school has a diff selection criteria so you never know ), but it would be wise to prepare for the re-take in the meantime.

11. guru

guru Member

Perplexed

I was just trying to prepare my mind about which school to apply to and also hear other people's view about the different school. Did you get my PM?

12. Hope7

Hope7 Member

Okay, I understand. I get it. Thanks.