need some help choosing dental schools

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jaa2031

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have some questions regarding choosing dental schools. Please, help me!!

Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of money to apply 10+ schools

so, I plan to apply 5 to 7 schools.

I am Georgia resident./Asian/ As you can tell English is my secondary language

DAT score AA 21/TS21/PAT 20/RC19/QR22
GPA: 4.01 sGPA:4.00
I have a good gpa, but I did not graduated from prestigious college.

I am planning to apply following schools:

Georgia Regents University
University of Alabama
Nova Southeastern University
University of Louisville
University of Pennsylvania*(?)

I need to choose two schools from this list
(I prefer out of school friendly and low tuition school)

University of Kentucky
University of North Carolina School of Dentistry, Chapel Hill**
Meharry Medical College School of Dentistry, Nashville
Virginia Commonwealth University School of Dentistry, Richmond
West Virginia University School of Dentistry
University of Florida**

I am little concern to apply UPenn with my statistic.
If you want to change it, what would be good school?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Ya know UPenn is far from low tuition right?

From your list, I'd cross off UNC it is extremely difficult for OOS to get in as well as Meharry as you are not a URM. I've heard VCU is very OOS friendly, the others I'm not sure about, other applicants from the south I would assume, would know.

Add UCONN! For pete's sake! ADD UCONN. If you get in, go there as well. you're getting an unbelievable deal. it's pass fail, has medical school so obviously you get strong didactic, strong clinical, and they give you in state tuition after your first year. objectively, that's a great deal and it is literally a good program. i know people tend to throw the compliment of saying any school has a good program without thinking twice about it but UCONN is certainly a school deserving of being called a good program.

uconn-huskies-logo.jpg

you do have a point that you took an easy course load so that sweet GPA isn't as great as it's made out to be.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I know UPenn is not cheap place to go, but my friend is attending UPenn right now. So, I feel little safe to live up there if I got accepted. However, if I have a very low chance to get in. I would not even consider to apply UPenn because I don;t want to waste my money.

Thank you for mentioning about UConn. Never thinking about that school. I will research about school further. It may adds to my list.