need some help guys (anesthesia residency)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

aimedicine

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
h

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I'd advise removing most of this identifying info and then doing some searches. You will find a lot of info.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the heads up about anonymity, i've adjusted accordingly...i have done searches on SDN but the scenario most people present are just different from my situation...people are either asking for advice about step 1 in high 190's or low 200's or in the 230's and 240's but nothing about someone that gets 215-220 while being a D.O.

None of us has a crystal ball. And besides what do you expect us to say that will change what you do anyway? Just apply liberally to many programs and if you find yourself in the fortunate position of having too many interviews, cancel the ones you like least.

By the way, improving dramatically on Step 2 will help a lot. I got a 223 on Step 1 and a 269 on Step 2 and that score opened some doors to places I would not have been granted interviews at. I think I applied to 50 or so and was granted interviews at maybe 35.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users
None of us has a crystal ball. And besides what do you expect us to say that will change what you do anyway? Just apply liberally to many programs and if you find yourself in the fortunate position of having too many interviews, cancel the ones you like least.

By the way, improving dramatically on Step 2 will help a lot. I got a 223 on Step 1 and a 269 on Step 2 and that score opened some doors to places I would not have been granted interviews at. I think I applied to 50 or so and was granted interviews at maybe 35.

Good luck.

How did you pull of a 269, please if you can PM me your resources and regimen!!! thanks...and i know people don't have crystal balls but these are the type of responses im looking for

How did you pull of a 269, please if you can PM me your resources and regimen!!! thanks...and i know people don't have crystal balls but these are the type of responses im looking for
step 2 is wayyyyyy easier than step 1 cuz it's more clinical.

(D.O applicant)
anesthesia research
I have 2 other non-anesthesia research projects (1 from undergrad and 1 from 1st year of med school)
step 1: 217
step 2: shooting for 235+

So any real advice would help because i really can't gauge my competitiveness, depending on who i'm talking to on some days i feel ok and other times i feel like im not going to match.

Do the best you can do. Sounds simple, but it's true. Forget about all the smoke around your question and focus on step 2 + get your app in early and contact programs you are really interested in.

(D.O applicant)
anesthesia research
I have 2 other non-anesthesia research projects (1 from undergrad and 1 from 1st year of med school)
step 1: 217
step 2: shooting for 235+

So any real advice would help because i really can't gauge my competitiveness, depending on who i'm talking to on some days i feel ok and other times i feel like im not going to match.

Doing research without publications is like not doing research without publications.

I can't speak for your competitiveness, likely "not very" or "not at all." Do some aways and get some stellar letters

step 2 is wayyyyyy easier than step 1 cuz it's more clinical.
Heh, that's what I thought, so I blew it off and more or less took it cold ...

Got my score, then had kind of a :eek: ok nobody saw that :shifty: moment as I was thinking, just a couple more nights goofin' off and drinkin' instead of readin' and I might've actually failed that one.

For me, Step 2 deserved just as much attention as Step 1, but the subject matter was way more fun to learn. So it was easier.

Step 1 brings out the nerd in you and ensures a particular depth of knowledge. ie... what does the na+/k+/ca+ pumps have to do with the generation of an action potential in a cardiac fiber vs a smooth muscle fiber? What's Lesch-Nyhan syndrome? or all those glycogen storage diseases? Well worth it though...

Step 2 is about your overall clinical awareness. Grasp and apply a 3d image of medicine. Practical stuff. So much more fun to learn IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Doing research without publications is like not doing research without publications.

I can't speak for your competitiveness, likely "not very" or "not at all." Do some aways and get some stellar letters

Ha

Last edited:

Good luck.

I had a similar experience, although my Step 2 wasn't that high. I also applied to 50-60 programs and got about 35 interview offers. It's much easier to turn down interviews than it is to scrounge them up after the majority of slots have been offered to other candidates. Assuming you are personable etc, I would imagine you'll match at a mid-tier or higher program. During residency if you continue to study and do well on your ITE's, fine tune your clinical skills, and play well in the sandbox, you'll likely have plenty of opportunities for virtually any fellowship or PP job- even coming from a mid-tier program.

Reactions: 1 user