Need some help please. Very complicated situation. Not sure what to do.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bridgestone

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi folks,

-Texas resident going to a large public university in Texas. Graduating in May.

-Not a URM.

-Good EC's, very little research, some shadowing, international experience.

-No MCAT yet.

-Cumulative GPA- 3.26, BCPM GPA- 3.15.

-AACOMAS Cumulative GPA- 3.65, BCPM GPA- 3.59.

As you can see, my GPA is really holding me back here. I started off decently in my first year, then had a disastrous sophomore year due to me being diagnosed with a condition after going through some tough times health wise. I was foolish not to withdraw from university and really didn't go to class at all during the year. As a result, I paid the price and essentially failed all of my classes.

However, in my Junior and Senior year, I made straight 4.0s- and I'm set to make another 4.0 this semester. So the last two years have been great for me. I've basically retaken all of the classes I did poorly in. I came in to college with a lot of credit and am still able to graduate in 4 years despite basically failing my sophomore year.

I'm not sure what to do. I have yet to take the MCAT but I will be taking it this summer.

So my question is this-

IF I SCORE REALLY WELL ON THE MCAT- ie- 35+,

-given my health problems and my strong upward trend, do you think I have a shot at allopathic medical schools? If so, should I apply this coming cycle?

-if I don't have a shot at allopathic schools immediately and with a strong MCAT, should I enroll in a program like UNT's medical masters?

IF I SCORE AVERAGE ON THE MCAT,

-should I just go ahead and apply to osteopathic schools?

-or should I go to the Caribbean?

I guess one of my main worries is paying for medical school as well. Going to a DO school out of state would be difficult for me financially. Ideally, I would prefer to go somewhere instate, BUT I do understand where I stand with my stats. I had to accept the mistake I made in light of my medical problems and tried as hard as I could to recover academically.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Interesting dilemma. I'll answer the easy one for you first. If you score average (say 26-32) on the MCAT, DO is probably the way to go with your GPA.

The more muddy case is if you do very well on your MCAT (33+). My guess is that, unfortunately, your GPA will be too much to look past despite the steep upward trend. Although you have a valid reason for the isolated poor performance, I'm not sure you'll make it far enough where an AdCom would see your explanation. In any case, if you do end up with a 33+ on the MCAT I suggest applying to both MD and DO and see what happens, you never know...

Otherwise, if you're opposed to DO for whatever reason, a formal post-bac or SMP would be ideal for someone in your shoes (poor GPA, average-to-good MCAT, solid ECs).

Yea I hope I do well on the MCAT. I plan on applying to UNT's medical masters program. If you do well in the program, I hear you get an interview to TCOM.

Members don't see this ad :)
Apply to all TX MD schools and TCOM + some out of state DO schools. I wouldn't apply to out of state MD schools, the Caribbean should be your last resort. You shouldn't need to exercise that option.

As far as affording med school...in general, financial aid offices make sure you can 'afford it'. You'll have higher debt in the end, but you won't be living in a cardboard box or something.

Get those apps in early!!

i just realized that TCOM does not follow the AACOMAS system of grade replacement. im screwed.

i just realized that TCOM does not follow the AACOMAS system of grade replacement. im screwed.

Not if you do really well on the MCAT. At least in my opinion.

Yea I hope I do well on the MCAT. I plan on applying to UNT's medical masters program. If you do well in the program, I hear you get an interview to TCOM.
If you do very well, and have a decent MCAT score, you also have a real shot at Texas MD programs. If you do a cost analysis, I think you'll find that spending the money for the UNT program and having a decent shot at any Texas school (and its cheap tuition) would be well worthwhile compared to paying for OOS DO med school tuition for four years after using their grade forgiveness policy.

thanks Catalystik.

Question- suppose I get in to a DO school. Would it be wise to still apply for the UNT program/ if i get in to the program, go there? While not accepting the acceptance to the DO school?

Thanks

...suppose I get in to a DO school. Would it be wise to still apply for the UNT program/ if i get in to the program, go there? While not accepting the acceptance to the DO school?

Bridgestone, I am currently in the same position as you. I chose to pursue a post-bac program despite my DO acceptance, but this is a very personal decision that you will have to make for yourself.

suppose I get in to a DO school. Would it be wise to still apply for the UNT program/ if i get in to the program, go there? While not accepting the acceptance to the DO school?

Isn't the UNT program open to applications now (I'm not sure)? If accepted, you'd start fall 2011, I believe. If you apply to OOS DO schools in summer 2011, you are unlikely to have an acceptance in hand before late 2011, early 2012. TCOM is likely to wait for the full year's grades before they'd consider you. You are highly likely to get an OOS DO acceptance as you are. If you want to save a year and are willing to incur the greater indebtedness of an OOS program, there's no reason to apply to the UNT program. If you apply and don't get into the UNT program, then apply to OOS DO for sure and never look back.

Hi folks,

-Texas resident going to a large public university in Texas. Graduating in May.

-Not a URM.

-Good EC's, very little research, some shadowing, international experience.

-No MCAT yet.

-Cumulative GPA- 3.26, BCPM GPA- 3.15.

-AACOMAS Cumulative GPA- 3.65, BCPM GPA- 3.59.

As you can see, my GPA is really holding me back here. I started off decently in my first year, then had a disastrous sophomore year due to me being diagnosed with a condition after going through some tough times health wise. I was foolish not to withdraw from university and really didn't go to class at all during the year. As a result, I paid the price and essentially failed all of my classes.

However, in my Junior and Senior year, I made straight 4.0s- and I'm set to make another 4.0 this semester. So the last two years have been great for me. I've basically retaken all of the classes I did poorly in. I came in to college with a lot of credit and am still able to graduate in 4 years despite basically failing my sophomore year.

I'm not sure what to do. I have yet to take the MCAT but I will be taking it this summer.

So my question is this-

IF I SCORE REALLY WELL ON THE MCAT- ie- 35+,

-given my health problems and my strong upward trend, do you think I have a shot at allopathic medical schools? If so, should I apply this coming cycle?

-if I don't have a shot at allopathic schools immediately and with a strong MCAT, should I enroll in a program like UNT's medical masters?

IF I SCORE AVERAGE ON THE MCAT,

-should I just go ahead and apply to osteopathic schools?

-or should I go to the Caribbean?

I guess one of my main worries is paying for medical school as well. Going to a DO school out of state would be difficult for me financially. Ideally, I would prefer to go somewhere instate, BUT I do understand where I stand with my stats. I had to accept the mistake I made in light of my medical problems and tried as hard as I could to recover academically.

I think you would be able to get into an osteopath or Caribbean school now if you can score about a 27 on the MCAT (should not be difficult). For an MD school, I would recommend more coursework. If you were to get a masters in physiology or something, it would help your GPA a lot and would help you do really well on the MCAT. From a pure financial perspective, the cost of the masters would probably be less than the cost of going to an non-MD school in the long run. You could still fall back on these options if need be.

ill be applying this summer for the 2012 class.

lets say i get in to an OOS DO school and the UNT program. Then I if decide on going in to the UNT program, how do I handle the OOS DO acceptance? can I ask to defer for a year? Id be worried about the impact that would have if it turns out that I need to attend that OOS DO school if the UNT program/ MD acceptances dont come along.

Thanks

ill be applying this summer for the 2012 class. lets say i get in to an OOS DO school and the UNT program. Then I if decide on going in to the UNT program, how do I handle the OOS DO acceptance? can I ask to defer for a year? Id be worried about the impact that would have if it turns out that I need to attend that OOS DO school if the UNT program/ MD acceptances dont come along.

I think Catalystik's prior post handled this well. The timing of the programs would be such that you could have your cake and eat it too.

Let's say you apply to both UNT and DO/MD this year. The UNT program would start this fall, while the MD/DO would start in the fall of next year. As long as you are able to finish UNT's curriculum in one year you could finish up in the spring '12 and immediately enter your med school of choice in the fall '12.

ill be applying this summer for the 2012 class.

lets say i get in to an OOS DO school and the UNT program. Then I if decide on going in to the UNT program, how do I handle the OOS DO acceptance? can I ask to defer for a year?
You can ask, but deferrals aren't always granted. And you'd need a diplomatic reason.

Last edited:
OP, after a bit of research, I see why we are miscommunicating. The UNT program runs May to May, rather than fall to summer like most do. It looks like the application deadline in April 15. So I would now reinterpret your comment (post 15), bridgestone, that you'd be applying to UNT in the coming summer to enter in May 2012? So then the applications to UNT and AACOMAS would be simultaneous.

yes you are correct.

i'll be applying this summer for both the UNT program for the May 2012 entry (although the deadline isn't until sometime in the spring of 2012) AND DO/MD schools for the Fall 2012 entry.

i guess aSagacious you are correct. So it looks like it could be either-

-get in to a MD program directly (quite unlikely)-matriculate

-get in to a OOS DO program only (somewhat likely)-matriculate

-get in to the UNT program only (perhaps)-matriculate

-get in to the UNT program AND a OOS DO school (maybe)- now I'll have to really think about it.

Sorry, can someone explain why his AACOMAS GPA is higher than his regular (assuming AMCAS) GPA. Do DO schools not count some courses? If so, why is it that DO schools usually have lower GPAs for acceptance? Thanks.

Sorry, can someone explain why his AACOMAS GPA is higher than his regular (assuming AMCAS) GPA. Do DO schools not count some courses? If so, why is it that DO schools usually have lower GPAs for acceptance? Thanks.
AACOMAS only counts the most recent grade when you retake a course. It's a good way to remove the impact of low grades dragging your GPA down.