Need some help with my gen surg rank list!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Quack

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Folks, I'm hoping to get a bit of your help here.

I'm trying to sort out my general surgery rank list. I've got my number #3-7 figured out and keep flip-flopping my #1 and #2 spots. They're Stanford and Oregon Health Sciences Univ. From where I sit, there are definite pros and cons to each and I just can't nail it down.

I was wondering if any of you had interviewed there or even better, are residents at these programs and could help provide some insight by sharing your experiences.

Of course this a match thing, so this is all probably not worth all this thought time and with my luck the match computer will have a fart and stick me into a medicine program in Barrow, Alaska.

In the words of Bartles and James, "Thanks for your support."

Members don't see this ad.

Did you check out the scutwork.com for Oregon, not the best evaluations I have ever heard, but certainly not the worst. BTW, what did you think during the interviews?

Ed

I'm an MS4 at OHSU.

My impression is that the surg residents do get worked hard, but I heard they were pulling out of gen surg at Emanuel hospital, and only going over there for trauma. The biggest gripe I heard was having to cover several different hospitals, and the driving time associated with that.

Not sure if I can answer questions, but willing to try.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have looked at scutwork and the amsa post-interview comments. And I think that I've concluded that the "perfect" program just doesn't exist and it's trying to sort out where I think that I'll thrive. One question I've had is would either one of these programs hamper me in landing a career in academia?

Why Stanford? I liked the program and the people in it (had done a sub-I there) and the geography. and it's basically similar thoughts for OHSU except for the sub-I part.

3- UCLA
4- UPenn
5- Brown
6- U Maryland
7- UCSF-Eastbay

Mind if I use your thread to ask for comments on some more programs?

UT Memphis
Thomas Jefferson
Drexel
UMKC

These are ones I just keep moving all over my rank list. I guess I don't know anyone at those places with the "inside scoop" - can anyone help me out?

Hi-

I've heard great things about U. Maryland from several people; didn't go up there myself, though.

UCLA... Los Angeles... I could be living the dream out there :cool:

I'd be happy to help with any program I know about... kind of wishing I had more time to take a second look at some places.

Anyone have the scoop on UAB, UF, LSU-NO, or MCV? Love the people at MCV and Virginia in general, although I still don't know who the new chair is going to be.

Good luck to all

-F.C.

I think you guys are being far too cerebral about your rank lists. You should be able to throw it together from a gut feeling. I think basing your list on someone else's opinions on this site, or on web-evals may end up leading to a miserable five years. My rank list was complete and certfied the day after my last interview.

The questions I asked myself were will I get good training, will I be happy in the city, and will I be happy with the residents. I found my answer to the first question was yes for every program. Granted, some had stronger points than others, but the most important questions for me were the last two and that is how my rank list was put together.

Any one know much about san diego? i think this will be my number 2 or three. cant decide between Baylor(houston) or sand diego, then probably emory, penn, miami, Ucolorado, UTSW, Columbia. I am really getting some good vibe from UCSD. I like the place and love the people and city. Not sure if giving it up for houston is the righ tthing. any comments?? Thanks