Need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Felicia

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone,
Iam new to this site and I have found it to be very informing but there is a question that I really need to be answerd. I am a Junior biology major with high hopes of one day becoming a M.D but this is my situation. The first college I attended was one that I realized was not for me so I decided it would be best if I transferd. I did but with a very low G.P.A. The school I am currently attending is one that Iam very happy with and my grades prove it, my current G.P.A is a 3.8 and it has been for the last two years I have been here, but Iam still worried that the year I spent at my first school will have a negative effect on my admission to medical school. Can someone please tell me if this is something I have to truly worry about.
Thanx

Members don't see this ad.

On applications, there are places where you can explain/add stuff. As long as you are maintaining good grades now, you should have no problem pursuing a MD.

Felicia, I completely understand your concern. But don't be discouraged!

I had a 2.32 GPA by the end of my freshmen year, but (like you) worked my way gradually up to a 3.8-4.0. Although my cumulative GPA still suffers from that first year (graduated with a 3.5), most med schools do acknowledge trends. Although I do have to say some state schools can be harsh. But in general, med schools DO NOTICE TRENDS and take into account improvements!!! If the rest of your application is strong, you will definitely do well in this process...

One advice though, if there were certain courses that you didn't do so well on during your first year (C+ or lower), I would consider retaking them if you still have time... especially if they were premed requirements. Changing one C to an A can greatly boost your numbers. (I retook Organic Chem II and Calc II.)

Anyway, hope this is helpful.
Work hard, aim high, and don't look back!!!

Good luck!