Need some help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Desiraju01

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
yo guys, im deciding to take MCAT this december. and after this summer i'll have 25 credits left before graduating...when should i start applying for medical college?

im thinking i should apply to at least 15 colleges. Some here in Florida, georgia and somewhere.

my gpa is ok. about 3.0 or something. I dont know what i will get on MCAT..hopefully 24 to 28...who knows what i will get.

but the questions is..when should i start applying for medical college? I found out that emory will have their application online on june 1st.

can you give me some good college to apply besides, UM, UF, FSU, USF, Emory, and others?

let me know thanx!!

Members don't see this ad.

Apply as early as possible. Honestly. National Average for anyone who gets accepted is about a 30 and certain states is even higher. Realistically, you want to do well on your MCATs to help out with the GPA. You can take a look at average GPA for matriculants of 2006:

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/

You'll notice the average GPAs are something like 3.5-3.7.

Anyway, because it's rolling admission, and EVERYONE will tell you this, you want to apply early.

Good luck with everything

yo guys, im deciding to take MCAT this december. and after this summer i'll have 25 credits left before graduating...when should i start applying for medical college?

im thinking i should apply to at least 15 colleges. Some here in Florida, georgia and somewhere.

my gpa is ok. about 3.0 or something. I dont know what i will get on MCAT..hopefully 24 to 28...who knows what i will get.

but the questions is..when should i start applying for medical college? I found out that emory will have their application online on june 1st.

can you give me some good college to apply besides, UM, UF, FSU, USF, Emory, and others?

let me know thanx!!

You may want to also look into DO programs. With a 3.0 and 24-28 MCAT your statistics are at the fringe of being competitive. If you were applied to a few DO programs you may find yourself with some options come next spring rather than biting your nails hoping for one or two acceptances.

Also, make sure you research your schools that you apply to very well. And apply early. Don't apply to schools that are too far outside your stats. Waste of money IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)

let me know thanx!!

(copy) There's a helpful sticky or two on this subject near the top of this page.
(paste) Check out an MSAR, it's the Bible of medical school admissions and go for about $25 on Amazon.

Even with a 28 MCAT, your gpa means lots of allopathic schools are going to be out of your league without some outstanding extracurricular work or a postbacc/Master's program.
Most people apply the summer before they graduate and matriculate the following fall. You don't apply directly to schools but must first go through that money-hungry entity known as the AAMC. It's all in the MSAR.

i talked to a fellow SDNer, gujudoc.

since after this summer, i will have 25 credits left before graduating in 2008. I'm thinking i will take the MCAT in december as i feel that im not quite prepare for it and will start applying for med school next june of 2008. and take a year off doing something productive like a EMT or phlebotomist or do some clinical research (what are the examples??) and wait for the med school's reply or acceptance and start to matriculate in 2009?

is that a good idea? this seems good to me as i will prolly like to do some work before going to med school..make some money and whatnots.

has anyone ever done this before? i'd like to know.

thanx!

let me know thanx!!

There's an MCAT in december?:confused: I thought the next one after August was in January. I'd love to take it in the fall or at least before Christmas and get it over with.

Anyway with the stats you're talking about, I'd apply DO. Otherwise with a 3.0 it seems you'd need an MCAT score in the high 30s. At least that's what I've learned from sdn.:D

i talked to a fellow SDNer, gujudoc.

since after this summer, i will have 25 credits left before graduating in 2008. I'm thinking i will take the MCAT in december as i feel that im not quite prepare for it and will start applying for med school next june of 2008. and take a year off doing something productive like a EMT or phlebotomist or do some clinical research (what are the examples??) and wait for the med school's reply or acceptance and start to matriculate in 2009?

is that a good idea? this seems good to me as i will prolly like to do some work before going to med school..make some money and whatnots.

has anyone ever done this before? i'd like to know.

thanx!

Yeah, that seems like a good plan...