Apr 6, 2010
Status
Hey everyone,
I am really confused right now. I am from Western Canada with an undergraduate gpa of 3.85 but a low mcat despite multiple tries (28-7 in VR though) and good ecs(research pubs, lots of local/int'l volunteering, jobs, teaching experiences, etc). I have interviewed at DO schools(accepted by 2), accepted into Irish Med School, SGU and Australian schools. The DO schools look great for American residents but I am not sure about this route for Canadians as it seems like very few pursue this avenue and I am not sure why. It seems like everyone I speak to in Canada whether citizens or health professionals have no clue what a DO is. I am really confused because I really want to come back to Canada but also want some degree of certainty with regards to residency anywhere (not having to face a lottery about getting some sort of residency training after a few years of waiting).

What should I do, any advice?

Brigade4Radiant

10+ Year Member
Dec 13, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
Does Canada recognize the D.O degree? If not go to the Australian Medschool.

Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Here is an extended pros-and-cons discussion of Canadians going to DO schools, covering 2004-2010, including some of the other options like Irish schools: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

It seems to me that if you have an interest in getting into a residency other than family medicine, you're better of with the DO route.