Need some honest advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

whattodonow2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I am really confused right now. I am from Western Canada with an undergraduate gpa of 3.85 but a low mcat despite multiple tries (28-7 in VR though) and good ecs(research pubs, lots of local/int'l volunteering, jobs, teaching experiences, etc). I have interviewed at DO schools(accepted by 2), accepted into Irish Med School, SGU and Australian schools. The DO schools look great for American residents but I am not sure about this route for Canadians as it seems like very few pursue this avenue and I am not sure why. It seems like everyone I speak to in Canada whether citizens or health professionals have no clue what a DO is. I am really confused because I really want to come back to Canada but also want some degree of certainty with regards to residency anywhere (not having to face a lottery about getting some sort of residency training after a few years of waiting).

What should I do, any advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Does Canada recognize the D.O degree? If not go to the Australian Medschool.

Here is an extended pros-and-cons discussion of Canadians going to DO schools, covering 2004-2010, including some of the other options like Irish schools: http://www.premed101.com/forums/showthread.php?t=16718

It seems to me that if you have an interest in getting into a residency other than family medicine, you're better of with the DO route.