Need some honesty about UT Houston

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by melvindo, Dec 13, 2005.

1. melvindo

melvindo OKLAHOMA NATIVE
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I heard some crazy stuff about Houston such as fairly recent probations etc. I was hoping to get some information about how things are there now and if people consider it to be a strong or stable program. Feel free to PM or post
    thanks

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. tiene dolor?

tiene dolor? ...for me to POOP on!
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, i believe the recent probation stuff is true. sorry, i don't know the details but i'm pretty sure they should be easy enough to find. did you ask them about this at interview? if not, you should have.

4. anonymousEM

anonymousEM Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

They were on probation until Oct 2002 due to problems of turf with surgery was my understanding. I was rotating there at the time they recieved full accreditation again. Not sure on other details as I ended up deciding the city wasn't for me and not interviewing but I enjoyed the rotation and it's a good hospital.

5. EM Junkie

EM Junkie SDN Donor
    Gold Donor Classifieds Approved 15+ Year Member

UT-Houston is my home program, so I am pretty familiar with it.

They were on probation, but have had full accreditation since 9/13/02 (from www.acgme.org). They also have a new PD, formerly at Cook County, which has cleaned house of some of the faculty who were previously in charge.

Overall I think it is a solid program. I do not forsee any problems for this program as far as stability either. If you have any specific questions, post them or PM me and I will try to answer them for you!

6. roja

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The U/S director in the ED is awesome as well. He's a grad of residency and fellowship from our program. He is very happy there and really loves it.