NEED some more advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chibrown01

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
so this cycle i applied in sept with a cgpa of 3.4 and sGPA of 3.3. only got 1 interview and i have been waitlisted. Took sept MCAT and got a 21o.(long story)

I know I want to go the MD route. So i want to apply again this june, taking the mcat again in june, so my app will be early. problem is i will be looked at as a reapplicant. And i know adcoms will want to see a SIGNIFICANT difference in my new app. I will user the same LOR's since I got most of them in Aug, probably add 1 new one.
Havent really had that much extra hospital volunteering since i began the app process. SO PRETTY MUCH MY APP IS THE SAME. I have a horrible fall semester 2.5 gpa bc i took 18 credits of 300-400 level bio. Dumbest decision ever.
So my sGPA probably went down.

My question is: taking a smp will not help my undergrad gpa even if i get a 4.0 in a masters med shools wont see it in this coming app cycle. would taking 2 years off benefit me more.?????

My 2 year plan would be to take extra undergrad classes at a state school at home and the 2nd year (hopefully) i will be interviewing and work at a pain institute or hospital lab.

Any advice is appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

so this cycle i applied in sept with a cgpa of 3.4 and sGPA of 3.3. only got 1 interview and i have been waitlisted. Took sept MCAT and got a 21o.(long story)

I know I want to go the MD route. So i want to apply again this june, taking the mcat again in june, so my app will be early. problem is i will be looked at as a reapplicant. And i know adcoms will want to see a SIGNIFICANT difference in my new app. I will user the same LOR's since I got most of them in Aug, probably add 1 new one.
Havent really had that much extra hospital volunteering since i began the app process. SO PRETTY MUCH MY APP IS THE SAME. I have a horrible fall semester 2.5 gpa bc i took 18 credits of 300-400 level bio. Dumbest decision ever.
So my sGPA probably went down.

My question is: taking a smp will not help my undergrad gpa even if i get a 4.0 in a masters med shools wont see it in this coming app cycle. would taking 2 years off benefit me more.?????

My 2 year plan would be to take extra undergrad classes at a state school at home and the 2nd year (hopefully) i will be interviewing and work at a pain institute or hospital lab.

Any advice is appreciated

You got a interview with a 21o? Ok you need to retake the mcat, a 21o will not cut it! A SMP will help you but you need a 30+ mcat to get into one. If I were you honestly i'd be aiming at DO, retake a bunch of those classes you screwed up in and retake the mcat and get a 28+. If you can do those things you should be able to get into a DO school.
However for MD i'd say that you need to work on your mcat and then get into a SMP of which you will need to get a 3.8+ in. If you do then you'll be able to get into a MD school if your lucky.

yea i was suprised about the interview too. I think its my life experiences that separate me. I know the MCAT UNACCEPTABLE. but I will take it again.
Do you think i shoud take 1 year off or 2 years off. ????

2 years off will give me a chance to add to my app, applying in june, my app will be the same except for Mcat score

yea i was suprised about the interview too. I think its my life experiences that separate me. I know the MCAT UNACCEPTABLE. but I will take it again.
Do you think i shoud take 1 year off or 2 years off. ????

2 years off will give me a chance to add to my app, applying in june, my app will be the same except for Mcat score

Well it really depends. If your interested in seriously being a doctor you can take 2 routes both of which will take a year.
DO : retake classes you did badly in and attempt to get to 3.5 gpa and 3.3 sgpa ( might take half a year), then spend another half a year studying for the mcat and aim for a good score.
MD : if your gpa is above a 3.0 I'd spend the whole time studying for the mcat and aiming for a 30+. If you can then get a 30+ you'll be able to apply for SMP's. However SMP's are not always efficient and they cost alot. They are the last chance and you might end up being screwed out, they are 2 years of more learning as well.( so 3 years total)
So in reality if I were you. I'd go DO route.