Need some MPH advice: Hopkins vs. Harvard vs. Columbia vs. Int'l programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rach4214

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Advice on advantages/disadvantages to each school's MPH program, given:
-full scholarship to Hopkins
-partial to Harvard & Columbia.
-vs. Int'l MPhil in public health programs at the University of Cambridge (UK) and the London School of Trop Medicine.

Advice from those of you who are currently at these programs or for anyone else who knows any specific details of the MPH programs at these institutions would be much appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

-vs. Int'l MPhil in public health programs at the University of Cambridge (UK) and the London School of Trop Medicine.

Advice from those of you who are currently at these programs or for anyone else who knows any specific details of the MPH programs at these institutions would be much appreciated!

I think that's all you need to know. For me, this would be an easy decision because of the opportunities available at Hopkins and low financial burden.

I am not in the programs but like stories rightfully pointed out, full scholarship in Hopkins will make me go there because its a great school, and you'll have lots of international health opportunities there . Congrats on the scholarship!!! thats a lotta money

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the feedback! Does anyone have any specific reasons why one might choose Hopkins over the other programs (all scholarships aside)?

bumping up this thread since i am also interested in hearing the answers with respect to the two schools, but HSPH's masters of science program in health policy vs. Hopkins MHS in International health. i eventually want to do global health policy work. financial aid is equal from both institutions.
Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated!!

I'm especially interested in the comparison between the two programs, with the cost factor factored in....

Does anyone else have any opinions on Hopkins vs. Harvard vs. the UK programS? I'm having the hardest time deciding!!

thanks for the link! Any thoughts on the comparison of Hopkins & Harvard to the international schools (London School of H&TM, Cambridge)?

no idea about the program at cambridge, but i came down to lshtm, hopkins and harvard too. still deciding btw the latter two (fin aid being equal) but had to drop lshtm from my list because of the one year program, full loans+ living expenses of london plus i am from a liberal arts background so would want more training in public health and health policy specifically and it seems lshtm trains a lof mid career professionals (albeit ridiculously well, but through a one year program i realized i couldn't take as many classes i would want). i have a decent amount of fieldwork experience so the academic portion is quite important to me. how are you deciding btw harvard/hopkins?

Well for me, I keep telling myself location is not such a big deal compared to the education I would be getting, but somehow it keeps coming back to how sucky Baltimore would be to live in...(Any opinions from current Bmore residents...is it as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I don't want to get shot outside my apartment.) For me Boston>>>>Baltimore. I just can't decide if that is a silly reason to not go to school at Hopkins. And London>>>Boston>>Baltimore.

Any opinions on the LSHTM out there? There are a few mentions of it on other posts, but no clear consensus compared to Hopkins vs. Harvard.

And I would be interested in hearing more about the comparison between the 2 MPH programs (Harvard and Hopkins) themselves. Both programs would be year long, and as I stated before Hopkins would be less of a financial burden (but should that matter so much...)?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

Well for me, I keep telling myself location is not such a big deal compared to the education I would be getting, but somehow it keeps coming back to how sucky Baltimore would be to live in...(Any opinions from current Bmore residents...is it as bad as everyone makes it out to be? I don't want to get shot outside my apartment.) For me Boston>>>>Baltimore. I just can't decide if that is a silly reason to not go to school at Hopkins. And London>>>Boston>>Baltimore.

Any opinions on the LSHTM out there? There are a few mentions of it on other posts, but no clear consensus compared to Hopkins vs. Harvard.

And I would be interested in hearing more about the comparison between the 2 MPH programs (Harvard and Hopkins) themselves. Both programs would be year long, and as I stated before Hopkins would be less of a financial burden (but should that matter so much...)?

Any advice/help would be much appreciated!

In my opinion, the Hopkins/Harvard debate is just a matter of preference. They are both research powerhouses with plenty of wonderful opportunities. If they cost the same, have nearly equally reputations, and you aren't terribly concerned with location, consider fit. Which place has more things going on that you're interested in?

Though I'm not a Baltimore resident (yet), I did take a trip down there last week. I was also concerned about the area. I found that it was not nearly as bad as people say it is! The medical campus is very nice, and the perimeter is patrolled by security 24/7. It's similar to any other major city in that there are certainly places you wouldn't want to be alone in, though they are more scattered than in most other cities. The cost of living is much much cheaper than Boston, if finances are a concern. As far as places to live, I'm looking to go downtown (toward the water), that's where many of the young professionals/students live. Federal Hill, Fells Point, and Canton are all safe places with good nightlife, shopping, etc. My recommendation is to not write off Baltimore just yet! Check it out and see how you feel.

Re: Harvard/Hopkins vs LSHTM and Cambridge

I live in london and was told by one of my profs that if I didn't want to go to Harvard I could go the LSHTM and their MSc 'rivals' the harvard MPH. I don't know how it is regarded in the US, but certainly in the UK and internationally it is THE place to study public health/epi/trop med especially for people who want to work in the developing world. The other thing to think about is whether you need/want CEPH accreditation for your degree and the UK courses will not give you US accreditation.

Cambridge on the other hand does not compare to LSHTM, Harvard or Hopkins. They have a very tiny department which is excellent in the few areas it researches, but unless that closely matches your own interest (which may change) I would not recommend going to cambridge. It is also a bit boring in cambridge unless you go in for that sort of thing.

It sounds like you want to go to london. It is an awesome city, very international, there is so much happening, the LSTHM has a great location too. If only the weather were better! We don't see the sun enough and it is only warm/hot a few months of the year at most. They have lots of events at the school too and having visited there is a wonderful atmosphere to the place.

In sum: You can compare Harvard/Hopkins to the LSHTM but Cambridge just isn't in the same league it doesn't even have a school of public health. London is a v. expensive city though but it sounds like money isn't a major concern if you can afford to turn down a full scholarship!

Well now, I didn't exactly say I could afford to turn down the full scholarship to Hopkins (or the partial to Harvard)....I was just trying to consider all the factors at once.

Thanks for the feedback though, you make some valid points. did you go to the LSHTM or just live in London?

I go to med school in London, have not studied at the LSHTM but have been to events there and know lots of people who have gone there mainly to do MSc in Epi or Control of Infectious Diseases.

Personally will be going to Harvard if I can get another scholarship (like you have a partial but vying for some bigger ones so am not saddled with a lifetime of loan repayments!). My main reasons for Harvard over LSHTM were 1) can take courses from other schools which I would want to do (like med anth) 2) I am into social epi and Harvard is better for that than LSHTM 3) I think would have a broader range of career opportunities after Harvard 4) There is a greater degree of flexibility in courses for the Harvard MPH than the LSHTM MSc 5) won't have to do an an extended research project at Harvard vs. 3 months research for LSHTM MSc

I think the other thing to remember is that the full scholarship to Hopkins is not just financial aid but a mark of academic distinction and is not only an excellent addition to the CV but may make it easier to get funding and fellowships either for further degrees or research projects etc. At least this is certainly the case in the UK - full scholarships/fellowships are regarded as highly prestigious.

Splik, you make a very valid point about the scholarship not only being money, but also to consider its merit value as well.....

Interesting that you would/are choosing to come to the US for your MPH vs. stay in London.