Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
I need some interview pants.

Already have a charcoal black jacket that's tailored.

Havn't shopped around yet (gf will probably be a godsend for that)

You guys/gals have any suggestions? What stores yall trust?

Dug around the forums and they all say go used/full set/tailored but I'm on a budget.

kawi609

2+ Year Member
Jul 24, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I would say look at ross that's where I found mine for a steal of 12.99 for some Ralph Lauren ones.

Reactions: Weirdy
OP
W

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
I would say look at ross that's where I found mine for a steal of 12.99 for some Ralph Lauren ones.
I too, like to shop at Ross.

If the pants match the jacket color-wise but the cloth isn't exactly the same, do you think I'd get crucified by adcoms?

About the Ads

dr.phoot

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
I too, like to shop at Ross.

If the pants match the jacket color-wise but the cloth isn't exactly the same, do you think I'd get crucified by adcoms?
huuuuugeee fashion nut here. I made the thread in the resident/physician pod forum about how pods dress to work.

Do NOT match pants with jacket color. Ever. Unless you buy a full suit. Else it'll look bad and look like you failed at matching.

Second, the average person usually doesn't know or care behind the basics of fashion. And in a med school interview, you can get away with not wearing the best brand or not having things perfect. It's more about just looking presentable and usually a suit will suffice. What you say is more important.

Third, you said you're on a budget. Depending on what you like / comfortable with, you can score some pretty quality expensive suits for a like a fraction of the cost. IF--BIG IF--you don't mind going thrift or used. Completley up to you.

But you sound like you're going to go pants and blazer vs. A full suit. That works too.

For just pants:
-Lands End
-J. Crew Factory
-Ebay (you can score brand new with tags. Just know the brands you want)
-LL Bean
-Marshalls
-Burlington Coat Factory
-TJ Maxx

The idea is that well fitting clothes that complement your frame will ALWAYS look best. So when you buy these pants, consider going to a tailor and dropping a few bucks to get them hemmed in a way where there's very little to no break (the pants just slightly touch your shoes). It'll look clean and neater that way.

Now you have a charcoal black jacket? If it's not too late, would you consider grabbing a navy one? :D

Post pics of your blazer please. (If you don't mind)

Here's a full suit for $225. (If you don't mind the thrifting route). Normally costs in the $500 range. Good quality too.

OP
W

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
You guys are a Godsend.

Have a suit but its not tailored (got it years ago by mom...who always pushed looser/bigger sizes).

Have a blazer I picked up that fits very well and looks very nice on my frame. Will try to post pics later.

Really wanted this electric deep blue suit w/ pants at Macy's but that sucker would've been $300 (I know...not much in the grand scheme of things but I just spent appx $500 on airplane tickets and a hotel for the first interview....like godddam).

I'm just a grad student working part time with full time night classes. I will def check out these suggestions @dr.phoot

@ldsrmdude Completely agree. I think for residency I will go with the full blue suit I've always looked at from afar.

dr.phoot

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Navy and/or gray suits are a MUST that every man should have in their wardrobe.

I completley forgot. Check out combatant gentleman. Google it. They make very nice affordable suits like in the $100s range. They're tailored / fitted already. Not bad for your first suit or something you need quickly.

You can take your time later to buy quality Brooks Brothers suits when you become a pod.

I'm sooo happy for you & jealous at the same time, man. Have fun at the interviews and make us ('16/'17 cycle applicants) proud!! looking forward to your post in the accepted students thread ; )

plant based

TUSPM Class of 2021
2+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2015
Canada
Status
Podiatry Student
Any girls on here have any advice for me on what to wear to the interview? :) :)

OP
W

Weirdy

2+ Year Member
Mar 2, 2016
Status
Podiatry Student
Navy and/or gray suits are a MUST that every man should have in their wardrobe.

I completley forgot. Check out combatant gentleman. Google it. They make very nice affordable suits like in the $100s range. They're tailored / fitted already. Not bad for your first suit or something you need quickly.

You can take your time later to buy quality Brooks Brothers suits when you become a pod.

I'm sooo happy for you & jealous at the same time, man. Have fun at the interviews and make us ('16/'17 cycle applicants) proud!! looking forward to your post in the accepted students thread ; )
I lay in bed at night........and freak out more about not having matching pants than anything else.

Driving me nuts lol.

dr.phoot

2+ Year Member
Mar 5, 2016
Status
Pre-Podiatry
Hahah oh you....

You actually don't want to match it though. It's bad to match a blazer / sport coat with the pants; don't wear the same colors

You can just go with khaki colored trousers / chinos to be on the safe side. If your coat is a very dark color, then lighter colored gray pants could do the trick too.
And we can't rule out brown, navy, all depends on what it looks like. I'll see if I can get you some pics for ideas / inspiration

You can do it lol
I lay in bed at night........and freak out more about not having matching pants than anything else.

Driving me nuts lol.

ldsrmdude

Back in the saddle again
Staff member
Administrator
10+ Year Member
Feb 20, 2007
Status
Podiatrist
@ldsrmdude Completely agree. I think for residency I will go with the full blue suit I've always looked at from afar.
Sounds good, but don't forget that first you have to interview with the schools. Get a suit for your school interviews. I'm not saying that slacks and a blazer will doom you, but why not try to stack things in your favor as much as possible. You're selling yourself short if you don't go with a full suit for school interviews, IMO.

About the Ads