need some planning advice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

crash2500

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
so i am applying to medical school in the upcoming rotation and I was wondering if I could get some advice on when i should try to complete the primary, ask for LOR, etc. I know I should do it as early as possible but here is my situation. My gpa is just OK right now and I am going to be taking some classes this summer that I am anticipating will bring it up more(as i have brought it up quite a bit this year). I wont get these grades till August. Also I will be doing some clinical research this summer with a professor in the medical school that I want to go to. I thought if i could get a LOR it would look pretty good. And finally I am taking the mcat on May 31st. when should i submit my primary because i know that has your gpa and mcat? is it worth it to get these extra classes on my gpa? if i submit it on june first could i send the grades i make this summer and would med schools look at them? could i get a LOR from my researcher this summer or is that too late? Or should i just submit my primary as early as possible and not worry about this?

Members don't see this ad.

bttt, any help here?

I'd do a quick calculation and find out how much the summer classes are really gonna affect your GPA.

Chances are, if it's only a few hours, and your GPA is pretty good to begin with it won't help much (and you always are running the risk of bringing it down)

So, if you find out that the grades are going to help you significantly (difference of >.05) than you should definitely wait. If not . . .

Shoot to have your AMCAS done by the second week of July. This should have you verified by the beginning of August and ready to receive secondaries, which will be the perfect time to get a LOR from your PI. I'd definitely make sure to ask the PI for a letter after you have your AMCAS done (so you can give him/her a copy of your PS).

So in the end . . . AMCAS by mid July, Secondaries in August and you should shoot to be complete everywhere by the end of August. This will put you decent shape for interviewing early.

The only reason I hesitate to say definitely wait until august for summer grades is that if you do that you're submitting AMCAS at the end of August, verified at the end of September, and not complete at schools until middle of October. You'll be right up against October 15th deadlines at some schools and starting to be on the late side in the whole process.

Just what i would do . . . take it for what it's worth.