Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need some pre-med advice!!!

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by jj52786, Dec 19, 2005.

1. jj52786

jj52786 Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hey so I am a sophomore undergrad at Johns Hopkins, and I need some advice about premed! Right now I'm a biomedical engineer major, the problem is this is one of the toughest majors in the school and getting a good gpa (over 3.6) is pretty difficult. Realistically, I will probably finish junior year with between a 3.4 and 3.5. So my question is, do med school take into account the difficulty of your undergrad major? Would the fact that I'm doing an engineering major, which from my experience is more difficult be taken into consideration? Because I truly enjoy bme and would hate to drop, but if its going to ruin my chances its not worth it.

Thanks alot

2. Manjot

Manjot Determined
    5+ Year Member

All majors get equal consideration when you apply to med school

3. stifler

stifler Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

i think they take in to consideration of your undergrad and major. but dont expect to get into harvard with a 3.4 youll get in somewhere just not the top schools chances are.

ppl will disagree but i think major and school only makes a difference if your gpa is like a 3.3 ppl would be like well this kid went to an elite schol and had a hard major that = 3.5. no one would add 0.2 to your gpa if its already 3.6.

4. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    They're not just looking at your GPA, contrary to popular belief. They're also going to be looking at your MCAT scores as well as what experience(s) you have that will make you a good doctor.

Don't stress so much! A 3.4 or 3.5 is still an awesome GPA. Now get off the computer and go have a Newcastle.

5. AcesHigh

AcesHigh Member
    10+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    They will most likely take a closer look at your MCAT -- you probably are already aware that the biomedical engineering major is actually a bit lacking in the sciences, so you might have to bone up on that before you take the MCAT. Good luck.

6. Zymogen

Zymogen Sweet Like Bear Meat
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Kim I like...make that love your style.

7. SirTony76

SirTony76 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Lacking in sciences? Which ones?

8. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    I'd look at a 3.4 or 3.5 from Hopkins if the MCAT is at least 10-10-10 (even better if the bio & phys scores are >10). When I see that the undergrad major is BME I take that into consideration (more impressive than a degree in Spanish, just as an example). Then I look to see what brought the gpa "down". If it is Bs in the engineering courses and not C+ in intro bio and orgo, then the 3.5 30 is enough for me to at least look at the rest of the application.

9. ragda26

ragda26 Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

hey

all majors r the same. even if you double major, most schools dont care. they want a decent gpa and mcat combo...

some top schools have diff curve for engineering....

10. kimmcauliffe

kimmcauliffe Surfer Chum
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Haha, thanks Rocky!