Need some serious advice about RC resources/other stuff!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vicsin

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, my DAT was supposed to be this Saturday but I postponed a week because I have been feeling burnt out/less productive/nervous and my scores are not where I want them to be. I have 2 weeks till D-Day now and I need solid advice.

I was planning to just pray for the reading comp section but now that I have more time, I figured I better buy something for practice rather than regret not doing anything when I had the chance. I have done 2 topscore tests and I got 19/20 on the RC ( I know it is easier than real RC).
I have also done a few Kaplan RC Tests and some were harder than others. I had scores of 19/20/even a 26 on one of them. And other scores as low as 17. Got a 15 on a practice test I took at school that only had 2 passages :p. Oops?

But anyway, I was thinking of getting CDR and doing those tests or Godfreys? I'm not sure. I need some practice for timing and practice for just relieving my nerves when it comes to this section.

Also, for the rest of my prep, I just took the 2007 ADA exam and it seemed to be way too easy to be anything like the real thing. I think people agree on that. I still didn't do fantastic on bio though : 19 Bio/25 GC/25 OC. My 2 Topscore tests have been 19 TS (Straight 19's)/20 AA and then a 22 TS/22 AA. I think the second was a fluke though cause I ended up getting 19ish on a Kaplan exam I took the next day.
...For sciences I have been going through destroyer. Went through all the problems probably more times than I am willing to admit and will do it again with my extra time I guess x_x. It's weird how Kaplan is "easier" than destroyer but a lot of their q's throw me off. I guess I'll be re-doing those to make sure I don't make the same mistakes although friends tell me Kaplan is for the most part off target in terms of what is most likely to show up on the DAT and Topscore isn't that relevant either.

Sorry for the rant, just need advice. I can't rely on practice to indicate my scores because they are all over the place and I know this is probably a really annoying post. Main question: what should I buy for RC? ;S

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So, my DAT was supposed to be this Saturday but I postponed a week because I have been feeling burnt out/less productive/nervous and my scores are not where I want them to be. I have 2 weeks till D-Day now and I need solid advice.

I was planning to just pray for the reading comp section but now that I have more time, I figured I better buy something for practice rather than regret not doing anything when I had the chance. I have done 2 topscore tests and I got 19/20 on the RC ( I know it is easier than real RC).
I have also done a few Kaplan RC Tests and some were harder than others. I had scores of 19/20/even a 26 on one of them. And other scores as low as 17. Got a 15 on a practice test I took at school that only had 2 passages :p. Oops?

But anyway, I was thinking of getting CDR and doing those tests or Godfreys? I'm not sure. I need some practice for timing and practice for just relieving my nerves when it comes to this section.

Also, for the rest of my prep, I just took the 2007 ADA exam and it seemed to be way too easy to be anything like the real thing. I think people agree on that. I still didn't do fantastic on bio though : 19 Bio/25 GC/25 OC. My 2 Topscore tests have been 19 TS (Straight 19's)/20 AA and then a 22 TS/22 AA. I think the second was a fluke though cause I ended up getting 19ish on a Kaplan exam I took the next day.

Sorry for the rant, just need advice. I can't rely on practice to indicate my scores because they are all over the place but I just need advice. Main question: what should I buy for RC? ;S

Gd frey was super long, its like 22 paragraphs each passage, and tons of questions on search and destroy and minimal on the inference questions.

Crack dat reading has almost all tone/inference questions which i guess is a good and a bad thing, cause the real DAT has MORE of the search and destroyer ( from what i hear) then the inference questions. But i did hear that the real dat has evolved into a more less of a search and destroy type question base

Dont waste your money with gd frey , its extremely long and will burn you out. I ran out of time for every test and got like 16-17's .

Crack dat reading is cheap, but i hear the achiever is more on par with the real thing

Hm, so maybe I will get the 3 Test DAT Achiever. 60 bucks and it comes to your computer instantly//this is 3tquest.com?

Or should I just focus on some reading prep...I think Crack Reading is 67 bucks? More expensive than Achiever x_x. Is Achiever worth my time?

Hm, so maybe I will get the 3 Test DAT Achiever. 60 bucks and it comes to your computer instantly//this is 3tquest.com?

Or should I just focus on some reading prep...I think Crack Reading is 67 bucks? More expensive than Achiever x_x. Is Achiever worth my time?

get the achiever, its most representative. Crack dat reading is 85 percent inference questions.

While you're at it, do the pat problems in achiever, they are a killer but worth your while for practice. Dont waste your time with their sceinces, they are TOUGH.

Members don't see this ad :)
This one is a tough decision. I would honestly go with the CDP reading, if its really 80% inteference questions,cause than that will be great!! You have kaplan which is search and destroy, and then if you have something that more oriented on interference questions, that will make you ready for anything they can throw at you. achiever is a waste of time/money in my opinion. everyone says its overkill. i never used it, but why would i make myself fret over something thats not representative.

Hmmm might go with crack dat reading. I like their software and I don't need achiever bringing my confidence down ;S. Anyone use it and can share some feedback before I buy?

Hmmm might go with crack dat reading. I like their software and I don't need achiever bringing my confidence down ;S. Anyone use it and can share some feedback before I buy?

I found CDR to be easier than Achiever. I got a 21 on my first Topscore RC, a 20 on CDR and a 17 on Achiever. CDR had inference questions but the passages were shorter and easier, while its not bad. I think Achiever reading is better, you shouldnt look at the scores and feel upset. You should focus on what method works to get questions correctly. Achiever passages seem to have answered that are "buried within in" unlike topscore where answers always seem to "jump out." Achiever is harder to used s&D and i actually wound up reading the whole passage to understand the tone, inference and find answers that i'm missing.

In my opinion, Achiever is a better deal because you also get the rest of the DAT and supposedly the software has the same exact format as the DAT or something close to it. Hope this helps.