Need some serious mcat help and advice!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

virtualmaster999

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I need some serious help with preparing for my mcat studies that will begin in the fall. In not sure what the bet option for me is, but I will give you the info of my situation so far...anything helps!

All my prerequisites are done except for physics 1/2 which I will be taking this upcoming year as a rising junior. I am planning to take the MCAT 2015 since I did not take physics yet. I already took biochem.

My classes for the fall include:

-physics 1 w/ lab
-cell bio
-brain and behavior
-abnormal psych

This totals 13 credit hours. I set this up with less hours but still a good difficulty because I need to study for the mcat during thee school year and I will be continuing to volunteer and shadow.

I was planning to buy the new mcat Kaplan set AND the new mcat Princeton review set. Which company has led to better results? I wanted to get both so I have more problems to study from and more practice. Is this fine to get both? I know verbal will be difficult for me so can I use old material to study for verbal especially, and maybe even some concepts from other sections (I was thinking exam crackers)

Now the thing is, I plan to take the new mcat sometime around April-May. If I start in September, that gives me roughly 7-8 months. It seems like a lot I know, but since I'll be in school, I'll have to spread it out( and I'll do a lot on weekends and breaks as well). Is this fine to break it down for this long of a time period, or will it be hard to retain everything? I will constantly be reviewing. Plus since there's more material on this new mcat I think it could work out good to spread it out since I'm taking classes as well.

As for the actual studying, do most people study one subject at a time, or is it good to do a little of each subject simultaneously? I know I haven't taken physics yet so it might take me a little longer to self learn some concepts while taking physics during the year. What works best? Maybe like two/three chapters a day from different subjects? What helps since I haven't taken physics yet?

I know there is a lot of info here but if I could get the help for this I would REAAAALLLY appreciate it. Any and all info would help me so much! Please let me know what you guys think about any or all the info I posted.

Thanks ahead!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I used the TBR books one at a time. I think that works better than mixing chapters up by subject, because it's faster, as long as you make flash cards so you can go back and review them regularly.

I read the chapters and made a complete set of flash cards for each chapter, then did the questions in the prescribed manner (except for doing most of bio untimed). I did all of ps, then all of bio/orgo. I finished about 1 chapter per day. Mixed in flash card review. Used EK for verbal practice.

My first diagnostic was a 24. I averaged a 38 on the aamc exams, 41 average for last 3. Got a 40 on the actual test.

I spent the last year tutoring bio/physics/chem/MCAT using mostly what I learned studying for the MCAT and telling anyone who would listen how great TBR is! Good luck, Lmk if you have any questions about my process.