Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Need someone's opinion, please

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DaCrust, Aug 1, 2000.

1. DaCrust

DaCrust Junior Member

Help! I took a biology course (Cell and Molecular) and got a D+. I was thinking of taking it over again to try to get an A but I thought it would just be worthless. I'm thinking of taking another science course, Calc II, and try to do well on that instead. What will help me more when I apply to med school?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. GeoLeoX

GeoLeoX Ancient

Attending Physician
    I'll tell you this. You almost definitely won't get into medical school with a D+ in Biology. Take it over. Please.

Geo

4. Zero Cool

Zero Cool Senior Member

I'll tell you this, if you retake the couse you MUST get an A. Adcom's will be expecting it.

5. jimmybee

jimmybee Med/Peds Resident

Attending Physician
    definitely take it over. I know it sucks, but it is essential that you do.

6. 1918

1918 Member

If the class was an elective/obscure topic you could consider not retaking it.

Cell/Molecular Bio is a fundamental science class -- you have to re-take it and ace it for med school.

Good luck.

7. MDMPH

MDMPH Junior Member

TAKE YOUR CLASS OVER AGAIN!! AND DON'T TAKE CALC II,AT MY UNDERGRAD SCHOOL NO ONE GOT ABOVE A C-, EXCEPT ONE STUDENT WHO WAS OF UNUSUALLY HIGH CALIBER.

8. Arti

Arti Member

DaCrust:

I have no idea what the rest of your academic
    career has been like. If all your other classes have been As than you can get away with this D+ and say it was just a fluke.
    However if your academic record is far from exemplary, every little thing will hurt you down the road and you shoudl seriously consider gettign this D+ off your record.
    But don't assume that retaking a class you have already taken will get an A automatically, make sure to work really hard, and do your work.

Arti
    P.S. If you are like the rest of us mortals, don't think Calculus II will be an easy way to get an A, unless you are a math major.

9. myrnafir

myrnafir Member

I totally agree with the posters above- I got 2 (count 'em- two) D+s in Bio the summer after my freshman year- I retook them senior year, kicked ass, took names- going to med school in 1.5 weeks.

10. limit

limit Molesting my inner-child

how about a pair of Cs in bio + bio lab (1 + 2) ? It's pretty much impossible to score any higher with the professor (yes, there is only 1), so taking it over is out of the question. I actually consider myself lucky i didn't get C- or D, but is a C really acceptable ?

11. GeoLeoX

GeoLeoX Ancient

Attending Physician
    There are no hard rules to say that a C is acceptable or unacceptable. I have had C's before and I had to work them off. That is the key - if you get a poor grade, make up for it!

Geo

12. DaCrust

DaCrust Junior Member

Thank you all so much for your feedback. They have been very helpful to me.