1. What do you find most helpful? Give us your feedback on the 2019 SDN Member Survey to help further the SDN mission (and win prizes!)
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

Need suggestions on Books for FM residency

Discussion in 'Family Medicine' started by sinnet, Mar 13, 2007.

1. sinnet

sinnet New Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Please make suggestions on what books to use for light reading these next couple of months in preparation for FM residency. I'd prefer using not-so-detailed books that I will help me prepare take the FM board exam in 3 years.

I haven't worked in a clinical setting for a couple of years and I just want to brush up on my clinical skills and knowledge. Thanks in advance for all your help.

2. ruchita

Hi sinnet,
    I am in the same situation. Please let me know if you find any good book to refresh our knowledge.
    Thanks.

3. OP
    OP
    sinnet

sinnet New Member
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    Any advice?...please

4. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.
    Physician Gold Donor Verified Expert Verified Account 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I usually say "Swanson's."

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  5. Saluda

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
  6. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    :laugh: :thumbup:

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  7. divinity09

divinity09 Resident
    7+ Year Member

wow, great help there guys. here you go: Cope's Early Diagnosis of the Acute Abdomen, Degowin's Guide to Physical Exam, Hoppenfeld's Musculoskeletal Exam, Goldbloom's Pediatric Clinical Skills.

8. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    bump

9. masterofnone

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am med student but recently asked this question to two local (Oklahoma) program directors. I specifically mentioned that I am interested in general procedures, sports medicine, and OB so I'm not sure how much that influenced their recommendations...regardles, here are the books that were on both of their lists (in no order):

Family Medicine: Ambulatory Care & Prevention- Mengel & Schwiebert
    Procedures for Primary Care Physicians- Pfenninger
    Fracture Managment for Primary Care- Eiff
    Minor Emergencies: Splinters to Fractures- Buttaravoli & Stair
    Family Medicine: Principle and Practice- Taylor
    Clinical Dermatology- Habif
    Essentials of Musculoskeletal Car- Griffin
    Injection Techniques in Ortho and Sports Medicine- Saunders
    Atlas of Pediatric Physical Diagnosis- Zitelli

They also said it was good to have a "full" text of your choice for medicine, OB, and peds but that, realistically, the Current Diagnosis and Treatment in ________ (peds, medicine, ob, etc) were fine.

Also, you can't beat The Harriet Lane Handbook for peds or The Washington Manual for your adult inpatient services.

10. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Not much "light" about that list, that's for sure. I've heard all of those mentioned as good texts to own/read during residency, but since the OP asked about light brush-up reading, which to me means something that will fit in your beach bag ;) ...

I've been reading American Family Physician lately. I always learn something useful. I'm also reading some of On Call Principles and Protocols (Ruedy) so I won't feel so dumb in a few weeks.

11. ajce9

ajce9 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Residents guide to ambulatory care.

12. MeganRose

MeganRose Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Thanks for the replies guys-- very helpful!

13. masterofnone

2+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    hey sophie...you don't think my list was "light" enough?? I read these all in a couple of days:laugh:

For some more literally light reading (that will definitely fit in that beach bag), how bout Tarascon Primary Care Pocketbook or a Maxwells?

For those who have other "must have" family books (regardless of weight) please keep the lists coming.

Thanks!

14. sophiejane

sophiejane Exhausted
    Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    People are always talking about Maxwell's, and I gotta say, I think I used it about 4 times in medical school, and three of those were to get the format for writing a post op/delivery/procedure note, etc. It was most useful for the pages at the back, on which I wrote pager numbers for whatever service I was on.

I used Up To Date more than anything, but since it's tres gauche to take a laptop to the beach, it will not be included on the "lite" list. ;)

15. ajce9

ajce9 Membership Revoked
    Removed

Up to date is great. Now they have a PDA version. If you get a spring phone/PDA with palm capabilities or any phone with web access you can get on up to date anytime.

16. raidermedic

raidermedic MS IV
    5+ Year Member

Personally I plan on having the "gold standerd" books from various specialties as references. ie Harrison's for medicine, Sabitson's for surgery. Granted I will not be managing surgical patients but if a patient comes in for follow up after a surgical procedure it would be nice to know what exactly was done.

That and UptoDate :thumbup:

17. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    That's pretty much what I did, too. I used the same books that I learned about during my med school rotations.

18. every1needsadoc

every1needsadoc New Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Anything other than the aforementioned books recommended for Peds especially ? Will be my first rotation & these guys have an intense inpatient peds program. Thanks

19. elizabeth5863

10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I've heard of Nelson's Textbook of Pediatrics being a classic. But I don't own it and don't know if it's for inpatient or outpatient peds or both or whether it's any good.

20. Blue Dog

Blue Dog Fides et ratio.

Attending Physician
    Here's a recommended residency book list from the AAFP: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/residents/toolsforyou/booklist.html

These are the books they list for peds:

Behrman, Richard E. et al., eds. Nelson Textbook of Pediatrics. 16th ed. Philadelphia: Saunders, 2000. $110

Hay, William W., Jr. et al., eds. Current Pediatric Diagnosis & Treatment. 16th ed. New York: Appleton & Lange, 2002. $50

McMillan, Julia A. et al, eds. Oski's Pediatrics: Principles and Practice. 3d ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 1999. $100

Rudolph, Abraham M. et al., eds. Rudolph's Pediatrics. 21st ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2002. $150

Siberry, George K. and Iannone, Robert. The Harriet Lane Handbook : A Manual for Pediatric House Officers. 15th ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2000. $35