Need the insight of prospective dental school students!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjking

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a graduate student at Northwestern University and I'm doing research about prospective and current dental students feelings and attitudes towards military medicine.

I would greatly appreciate any and all of you who take a few minutes of your time to answer a quick online survey about this subject to make my research more insightful.

The survey is just 7 questions, followed some brief demographic information. To protect your privacy, the survey is completely anonymous.

Here's the link - http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.asp?u=3226372034

Thanks for your help in advance. If you would be interested in providing additional insight beyond the survey, plese e-mail me through the site.

V. Kinghorn

Members don't see this ad.

My major problem with military scholarship is that when i asked the Navy representatives about where are his worst places to service? He didnt tell me an answer. I dont feel very comfortable talking with him from taht point on.

ecdoesit,
I can understand the inability of the Naval representatives to answer your question because "worst places to serve" falls into that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" category. For example,
when serving in the military, one is always subject to being ordered into the midst of a combat environment even as a dental officer. Some prospective military dental officers might find the opportunity to serve in a combat situation to be very appealing, while others might find it loathsome.

Members don't see this ad :)
ecdoesit -

Did the recruiter honestly answer your other questions?

V. Kinghorn

Originally posted by groundhog
ecdoesit,
I can understand the inability of the Naval representatives to answer your question because "worst places to serve" falls into that "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" category. For example,
when serving in the military, one is always subject to being ordered into the midst of a combat environment even as a dental officer. Some prospective military dental officers might find the opportunity to serve in a combat situation to be very appealing, while others might find it loathsome.
Right, but then all he'd have to do is say so. Military recruiters are a notoriously deceptive lot, and I don't have any quibble with people who are pretty suspicious of them--and heck, I'm in the military.

A couple of instructors here at my school were Navy dentists... They tell me that their tours of duty alternate between deployments with the fleet and shore duty...

And when it's your turn to deploy for sea duty, you are aboard a major combatant ship (like an aircraft carrier or amphibious assault ship) for cruises that last 6 months at a time. And if the deployment turns into a war cruise, you can be at sea for even longer-- The carrier battle group centered around the USS Abraham Lincoln was at sea for 10 months straight during the war in Afghanistan. I can see how that can put a damper on a potential recruit's enthusiasm. :(

I never did get to ask them if Navy dentists can enter programs like AOCS and NFO training programs... That would be cool as all heck though..

Military recruiters are a notoriously deceptive lot,
... possibly to the point of posing as a harmless grad student in order to collect information that will help them spin their sticky web. ;)

If you plan on doing dental school through the military, take the air force or army wayyyy before the navy!! That is, unless you wanna be stuck out on a ship. My uncle is in the army, and a family friend in the air force. Both of them said you will definately be stuck on a boat at some point. Having a wife and kids makes me want to avoid that as much as possible!!

Supernumerary,

LOL. I'm not a recruiter. I'm not going to post my personal information here online, but I'm happy to prove to you off line that I'm a graduate student.

I wrote under

"Please explain your reasons for considering or not considering joining the Navy."

That I didnt want to have to cut my hair. :D