Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Need these organized: Which is considered as EC, Volunteer, & Work Experience.

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by Hirenbp9362, May 7, 2008.

1. Hirenbp9362

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    As title says.

Current clubs:
    Biology Society
    English as a Second Language (basically an International Club)
    Middlesex Alcohol and Drug Education Committee (M.A.D.E)
    Quo Vadis (college newspaper)

Worked at following:
    Gorins Homemade Cafe & Grill (fast food in mall)
    Lukoil Gas Station (as a gas attendent)
    *Next week will be starting work at private pharmacy or retail pharmacy.
    (What do you guys suggest private pharmacy or retail pharmacy?)

I have no volunteer work what so ever. So do you guys think I should volunteer at a pharmacy? would that also be considered as work experience in pharmacy?

Thanks.:)

2. Hirenbp9362

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    I need to know if a pharmacy school prefers work experience in pharmacy at a retail pharmacy or a private pharmacy?

3. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I would definitely find a pharmacy to volunteer at. See about getting your certification if it's required in your state. If you volunteer at an independent pharmacy, you might be able to get hired there after a while. The work experience you show I don't think will help you much unless this was work done during the time you were in school, worked and still maintained a 3.0 or better and was active in your listed orgs. Volunteering at a pharmacy probably won't be considered work experience, but will definitely be considered experience and that's a good thing. It's one thing to be a member of clubs and another to be actively involved in them too.

I worked at an independent for 18 months before I started school and I loved it. But, it depends on who owns it and their personality. Retail can be grinding, but I know people who love it. It all depends on what you want and your personality.

4. IrishRxMan

2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Pharmacy experience is all encompassing whether it's in a chain, independent, hospital, nuclear, infusion, etc. For most schools it helps, but only so much. It will help you with getting a good letter of reference for apps.

5. aboveliquidice

aboveliquidice No sacrifice - No victory
    Pharmacist Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Extracurricular = no benefit - you do it just because it interests you.

Volunteer = You working, but receiving NO pay

Work Experience = You working, receiving pay for it.

Grey Areas = Both ECs and Volunteer work can be listed as work experience if they provide you with experience in a particular field. Example being volunteer work in a pharmacy can also be considered work experience.

~above~

6. fenixtnlfan

fenixtnlfan P2 Wildcat
    Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    I don't think you need to volunteer in a pharmacy in addition to working in one. Experience is the key. However, if there is a particular area you are interested in, no harm in volunteering there.

If I remember correctly, PharmCAS specifically defines Work Experience as getting paid and that's also how I understood all other application to mean. Even though I do agree work experience could be defined as aboveliqiudice' stated.

7. laimyours

laimyours like my hat?
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    Volunteering always looks good. If you go to school full time and work, the fact that you took time out to volunteer says a lot. Try volunteering at a pharmacy. After you volunteer for a while they might offer you a job. Independants might be a better bet for you, there is a lot of restrictions about volunteering at corporations. I know this is totally illegal but, I got my first job at an independant. After a few months, I basically did all the technician duties. Then became a tech as soon as I turned 18. Now, I work in a retail pharmacy and I volunteer at the hospital pharmacy. Good luck!