Need to attend Match Day?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bbpiano1

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

3rd year here, most likely going into radiology. I am in the process of setting up a 3 month international elective spanning Feb, March, and April of my 4th year. Is it a problem being overseas on Match Day, or do radiology applicants typically have to be nearby for fear of scrambling?

Step 1: 251
NJ state school
No publications.
Good grades so far.

Posted on AM without much of a response.

Thanks,

bb

Members don't see this ad.

Should be good with those stats. I would just be free the day of the match -- as anyone would -- due to fear of not matched? Who knows.... I say enjoy your international electice.

Are you in line to interview at 10-12 places? If so, I'd say you're almost assured to match, just indeed plan to make the match week a "light" one in case of catastrophe.

If you only have a few, I might worry.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should be available and near your school that entire week. If you don't match, you're notified by email on Monday before Match Day. Then you have the next few days to scramble. When you scramble, you should be talking and working with your school closely. You can't do that very well if you're overseas.

The place I was planning to do my elective is China and I'd be near Beijing. Since you find on Monday if you match and can't scamble until Tuesday, do you think I could just fly back home on Monday night if I had to? There are plenty of flights...Or is there a way to start 'scambling' on Monday that I am completely overlooking?

The place I was planning to do my elective is China and I'd be near Beijing. Since you find on Monday if you match and can't scamble until Tuesday, do you think I could just fly back home on Monday night if I had to? There are plenty of flights...Or is there a way to start 'scambling' on Monday that I am completely overlooking?

Um, no. The minute you find out you have to scramble on that Monday you drag your butt to your dean's office and start working the phone and fax machines. Every minute and hour counts, because you'll be competing against every other non-matched person in the country.

By the time you arrive home from overseas, the best scrambling spots will probably be gone. You'll be lucky if you match anywhere.

It is a at 17 hour flight (maybe a little lest if you live on west coast)... combine this with the 12 hour time difference and you would probably miss out on a majority of the time needed to scramble.

This is a decision that only you will be able to make. If I were you, I would consider how many interviews I will go on and weigh this against the feedback I have been receiving at those interviews. Are you going to attend 10-12 interviews? Most of the people with this number or more match. Have you applied to a combination of low, middle, and higher tier programs? Some community and academic places? Do you have a home program (that you think will take you)? 90% of US grads match into rads... it is not as crazy competitive as people like to make it.

Basically it would be of course better to be in the USA if you have to scramble. However, it is not impossible. Please keep in mind that you can always call to find an available spot in radiology that may be interested in interviewing you. Then fly back if necessary.

Also I am a firm believer in getting a non-scramble spot. I recommend just reapplying the year after. One year isn't that long to "wait" - if it gets you into a better program.

Hopefully this doesn't happen and you are in Beijing checking your ERAS account--and you find out you matched at your top choice!!

best of luck!
Steven Chan

I am in the ame boat, but I am a fourth year medical student....I need to attend a conference from March 14 to 19, 09 at an oversea location...I have 12 interviews offer, but half of them are in California....do you think it is safe to go to the conference? Since Cali. programs are so difficult to match, I am going to rank every single of my Cali. program on the top of my list though.
( I am from CA, but go to school in East coast)

karenwkyk, Did you end up missing match day? Did everything work out?

Would love to here from anybody else who did the same this week since I went ahead and scheduled my elective in China (with the option of dropping it, or course).

bb

A few people in my class were overseas for match day and they were applying neurosurgery, ortho, etc! They all matched.

Ultimately the decision is up to you. If you can get 10+ interviews (which if I were you, I wouldn't worry), you will most likely match. Personally I'd go overseas.

You just need to inform your dean's office ahead of time. I knew a couple of people who stayed behind on Monday/Tuesday of Match Week just to confirm they didn't need to scramble.

And then flew back to the East/West Coast on Wednesday to celebrate with family instead of participating in Thursday's Match Ceremony.