Need to decide b/w CSU Sac or UNT before 5/10

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cywd

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi I'm debating between which school to go for my master's study, CSU Sacramento (Counseling: MFT emphasis) or University of North Texas (Counseling: CMH emphasis)? I need to make my decision before 5/10.

So here are my rationale:
- Tuition CSUS should be cheaper on this since I'm a California resident, but I've talked to people in UNT and most of them have some form of scholarship or grant even as an international student. (which is unbelievable!)
- Class component It seems to me that UNT offers more than CSUS, i.e. play therapy and animal-assisted therapy. I'm not particularly interested in play therapy, which UNT is strong in, but I'm open to learn it. I'm more interested in animal-assisted therapy, but UNT only offer one intro class for it. (they have a faculty member, Cynthia Chandler, who's an expert in this field.) As for CSUS, they have a intro class about art therapy and play therapy.
- Environment Sacramento and Denton are equally not-so-urban for me, so living environment wise they're not too different in my standard.
- License I plan to go back to California for my licensure exam. With CSUS's degree, I'll be a MFT; with UNT's degree, I'll sit for LPCC (traditional path I believe).

Most of my family and friends live in California. Going to UNT means I'll be away from them for 2 years. It seems to me UNT is a better choice than CSU Sacramento because they teach more types of counseling and strong in play therapy. Has anyone received an out-of-state degree and gained their LPCC license in California? Can you share your experience? Has anyone heard or gone to UNT for their counseling program? I need more input before I make my decision.

Thanks.

P.S. both programs are CACREP-accredited.

Members don't see this ad.

I have heard great things about UNT. I think for me it would be: do I want an adventure ? Go Texas!!! Do I want familiarity go Sacramento. I don't think you can go wrong with this choice.

How great to have options. Grad school can be an amazingly transformative time. Have fun with it.

I have heard great things about UNT. I think for me it would be: do I want an adventure ? Go Texas!!! Do I want familiarity go Sacramento. I don't think you can go wrong with this choice.

How great to have options. Grad school can be an amazingly transformative time. Have fun with it.

Can you share what kind of great things you heard about UNT? Thanks. :)

No personal F2F contact with UNT students, faculty, or grads. Just a general impression of excellence from interactions on another listserv. I actually went back and looked and it was their PhD program in counseling not their MS where that exchange took place.

In additional looking at their website - I realized they are "old school" in that they put their CMHC (MS and PhD) under the COE and their Psychology PhD is under the College of Arts and Sciences. It looks like there is a recent internal shift going on
http://www.psyc.unt.edu/news/2010/nov/masters-program-counseling-will-discontinue-admissions that I would want to investigate before I made a decision to attend.

I don't know much about Texas licensure - but I would want to talk to someone in the know (see if there is a state or local branch of ACA) about what this means for graduates of the program.

I was unaware that this had transpired.

You might ask on the PsyD/PhD board if people have experience with UNT and what they might tell you on or off the record.

The curriculum looks solid for CMHC - but if you are SURE you want to return to CA - I would imagine it is easier to get the MFT in CA and get licensed than the LPC since they were the last state to accept counseling as a profession.

YMMV