Need to decide on a major asap

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Melodyx

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all,
I am a mom to a toddler, in my mid 20's whose worked 7+ years in a small property management company as an office assistant that's only gained me fast typing/data entry skills, there's no benefits or growth here and I want a back up.

I just finished my basic courses for my associates degree. My current major is General Studies, mainly because I have always been undecided and wanted to get the first half of my aa completed. Now it's time for me to choose a major, and I am considering a position in healthcare. Something, I thought I'd never get into because I've been so busy trying to figure out what I 'love' but let's be honest my passion for photography/arts is not going to support my family and realistically speaking.. this industry is huge, in demand and with many opportunities worldwide.

I've done my research but would like feedback from others, while I am aware that it all depends on the setting and other factors. I am aiming more for a career that meets this description: daytime hours, over 45k salary (if possible), work/life balance.

My community college offers the following: Diagnostic Medical Sonographer accredited program, Dental Hyginest, Radiologic technologist, Respiratory therapist, medical lab technician,along with others.

*Occupational therapy is not offered at my college, which I had 'in mind' to learn more about so I am a little limited considering I live in a small city at the moment.

Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I don’t know the salary for dental hygenist but it seems like bankers hours for the most part

It’s hard to beat nursing for salary/vs time to degree . Have you looked to local bsn/or rn courses?

I don’t know the salary for dental hygenist but it seems like bankers hours for the most part

It’s hard to beat nursing for salary/vs time to degree . Have you looked to local bsn/or rn courses?

Thank you for replying!

I did some research on dental hygienist, overall in my area it looks like it has a decent pay and hours. Nursing, I agree could simply be the most rewarding out of all. I appreciate the work nurses do, and as a plus it appears that they have a lot of benefits, I wish I could just choose nursing but something about nursing that makes me feel it may not be for me

MRI tech. Very good income.