Need to do something to improve stats before next app cycle...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paperdoll25

Mr. Sparkle
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently waitlisted at LECOM-E, but I need to think up some back-up plans that will help me on future apps. I need to improve my GPA. I was thinking M.S. in kinesiology or nutritional sciences. What do you guys recommend?

Members don't see this ad.

A Masters degree is not going to do much to help IMO. Undergrad and grad GPAs are calculated separately so it wouldn't change your undergrad GPA. The only way to boost your GPA is to take/retake more undergrad classes.

I planned to retake some of the classes while I was getting a graduate degree. Are there particular grad degrees that look better to medical schools? Has anyone been in this situation...what did you do?

Members don't see this ad :)
If you don't know about SMPs, these are one year masters programs designed to improve credentials for med school. There's a whole SDN forum here. There are quite a few at DO schools as well as at MD schools.

If the whole point of further study for you is to get into med school, then an SMP would serve you better than a masters in something else. If you pursue a masters in kinesiology or an MPH, you would be getting a new EC, not a fixed GPA.

Lastly, at least on the MD side, undergrad classes taken under a grad program go into your grad GPA, not your undergrad GPA. I haven't heard this for DO, but I think it was LifetimeDoc that got burned this way.

Best of luck to you.

I spoke to a PCOM representive once, and she said that PCOM "heavily weighs graduate education...we pretty much give you a second chance." But that is PCOM, and I am sure every school differs.

Your MCAT score is probably the easiet thing to improve, especially if you scored below a 30. If you studied for a year, there is not reason you shouldn't exceed a 30.

I spoke to a PCOM representive once, and she said that PCOM "heavily weighs graduate education...we pretty much give you a second chance." But that is PCOM, and I am sure every school differs.

Your MCAT score is probably the easiet thing to improve, especially if you scored below a 30. If you studied for a year, there is not reason you shouldn't exceed a 30.

Last year a NYCOM representive told me the same, my gpa was on the low side and they recommended entering a graduate program.

i know lecom erie has a program in which you take classes with the med students etc, I personally would just retake classes that you did bad in, and retake the mcat if you feel you can improve on.

I am currently waitlisted at LECOM-E, but I need to think up some back-up plans that will help me on future apps. I need to improve my GPA. I was thinking M.S. in kinesiology or nutritional sciences. What do you guys recommend?

I think it would be best/most cost-effective if you just retake the classes you did the worst in and retake the MCAT. Also, consider getting in more research/volunteer experience if those things interest you (and if you don't already have these things on your app). Good luck to you! :luck:

It's hard because we don't know what your profile looks like... But I don't think I'd go the master's route. Too much money and not the best use of your time.

You're already waitlisted at LECOM-E, many schools show love to reapplicants. Talk to someone there to get suggestions as to what they feel your weaker areas are, and how you can improve. Even ask if you don't make it in this time, will you be required to reapply through the traditional way, iow, how do they consider those who did not make off waitlist.

If it's gpa, retake undergrad classes. If you're in a master's program, taking undergrad classes is not going to count toward your required classes. If iyou need improvement on MCAT, take time to prepare/prepare with a different book and rock it out. If it's extracurric, you get the idea...
wink.gif

Call the admissions committee at the schools you applied to, I have heard some schools will tell you what the red flags/ weaknesses were on your application. I also personally think that if you aren't going to do grad school get as much first hand experience as possible. I don't know what your grades or MCAT are like, but there have been debates back and forth about the benefits of doing something like an EMT program. I know someone that became an EMT and got accepted the following year, who knows though its all a crapshoot, call admissions. Good luck

Last edited:
On second thought, just kidnap an ADCOMS daughter and hold her hostage till admission. Sure it's a little less orthodox, but what do you have to lose besides a little time in solitary confinement. :D